question

falko avatar image
falko asked

Easy Solar 48/5000 with LG Chem Resu 3.3

Dear Community, I have just recognized that the MPPT150/100 of my Easy Solar is not listed as a compatible Inverter/charger for the LG Chem 3.3. Is there any possible solution to set up the described system? Thank you very much for your support. Best regards, Falko

MPPT ControllersLithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

There is some nuance between compatible and approved.

Your equipment will almost certainly work to some degree, however it has not been tested or approved by Victron or LG Chem labs.

There may be issues, and it is very likely there are undocumented limitations which may effect the reliability, support and warranty conditions available to you.

For example, unexpected shutdowns due to over-current or over-voltage.

The list of compatible, approved and supported lithium batteries is here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:start

The section specific to this situation is here:

Victron & LG Chem Resu

Compatible Victron products

The only inverter/charger approved by LG for use with the Resu battery is the MultiPlus 48/3000/35

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

falko avatar image falko commented ·

Thanks for your quick answer. The Easy Solar I am using comes with the MultiPlus 48/5000/70 and the Color Controller. Is there any difference between the approved MultiPlus 48/3000/35 and the MultiPlus I am using when it comes to the connectivity to the LG Resu battery? Furthermore, I aim to use it as an off-grid system, however, on the Victron & LG Chem Resu compatible page it says it can only be used for on-grid systems for self-consumption. Do you seen a reason why it can’t be used as a off-grid system? Thanks again for your support.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vedanta Accounts avatar image Vedanta Accounts commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Energy Staff) Thanks for your answer. We have a EasySolar 48/3000/35-50 MPPT150/70. Will it be compatible with the LGChem Resu battery? We would like to use it for off-grid. Has the compatibility list been expanded over the 2 years? Your help and guidance is greatly appreciated. Many thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ Vedanta Accounts commented ·

The LG Resu series has never been approved for off grid with any Victron.

The compatibility list has been expanded and updated, but not in respect to LG.

I am not aware of any changes that are coming with regard to this.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@Vedanta Accounts I have been doing a lot of research on the topic. It is important to note that LG themselves state the LG RESU can be used off-grid as well as a backup if coupled with the correct inverter, which clearly is not Victron.

You may have to Bing it. It has to be noted that it was originally developed in conjunction with SolarEdge for dedicated ESS, so that may explain some Victron incompatibilities. I also think the BMS is programmed in an overly protective mode e.g. only 3s peak power delivery, it will not charge 100%, only 98% etc. to probably ensure it achieves the 10yr warranty capacity and being used in typically more stable grid connected environments as opposed to offshore / generator boating world. I sadly have to dispose of my new Victron Multi II to use a LG Chem RESU10, but hardly a sacrifice given the amount of power it provides in an amazing small footprint compared to anything else out there today.

Not sure this is accurate as there is actually only 1 compatible Victron device!

"Compatible Inverter Brands : SMA, SolaX, Ingeteam, GoodWe, Sungrow, Victron Energy, Selectronic - More brands to be added"

RESU3.3 delivers 3kW with peak 3.3 kW for 3s which I can clearly see to be a problem if a Multiplus 3000 / Easysolar peaks at 6000W. It will for sure trip up the RESU, but then in theory so will it with many other inverters.

lg-chem.jpg (43.4 KiB)
resu33.jpg (107.8 KiB)
resu33.jpg (107.8 KiB)
lg-chem.jpg (43.4 KiB)
2 |3000