question

Paul avatar image
Paul asked

Quattro 48/10000 and Honda EG5500 CXS compatability

I have a Quattro 48/10000 in an off grid solar system with BYD batteries It has a backup power supply via a Honda EG5500 CXS fitted with a 2 wire autostart. The generator can be started from the colour console but the inverter does not sync with the generator and disconnects. Generator supply is 240 50 Hz but apparently split phase. Do I need to change the generator or is there a serving on the Quattro to accommodate this?

Generatorcharge controller compatibility
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

I couldnโ€™t see any special phase configuration when I googled the generator model?

Have you been through all the more common troubleshooting steps here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin commented ยท

I think this deserves a special mention in your generator documentation, Guy.

By that I mean the difference between a portable generator and a standby generator.

For safety reasons portable generators are normally V-0-V configurations, 110V either side of earth.

Whereas a standby generator in a fixed installation has the neutral leg at 0V and the live leg at 220V.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ยท

What voltage is shown on the GX device when it is connected?

I havenโ€™t seen it before in Australia, where are you? It sounds like it could be a USA thing, but then 50hz, so maybe not? It not even clear to me in the manual for the generator that this is the output, though I didnโ€™t fully understand the wiring diagram.

How did you hear about it? Have you tested it, or is it just very common Knowledge?

http://hondampe.com.au/docs/owning_a_honda/owners_manuals/pe/EG_OwnersManual.pdf

2 |3000

Paul avatar image
Paul answered ยท

Comments from electrician:

measured with a multimeter and found a measurement of 120V-AC from active to earth and 120V-AC from neutral to earth.

This indicates a centre tapped earth on the alternator of the generator (European standard). It is basically a โ€™spit-phaseโ€™ generator, but the system requires a single-phase generator.

• The alternator needs to be modified before the Quattro will synchronise with it. Suggest taking it back to the original supplier for them to fix this to regular 1-phase 240V 50Hz output.
3 comments
2 |3000

Modifications to the generator sounds like what is needed then.

Victron gear doesnโ€™t support split phase at this stage.

0 Likes 0 ยท
Paul avatar image Paul Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Thanks for the confirmation. System was installed six months ago and performing well and have not needed the generator. It has been running weekly generator tests with no indication of an issue but I guess never with low batteries.

Any likelihood of Victron supporting split phase and is that a software update?

Secondly anyone care to comment if the generator modification is technically viable?

0 Likes 0 ยท
Phil Gavin avatar image Phil Gavin Paul commented ยท

For some generators makes it is physically possible to locate the earth connection and move it.

From what I've heard from another Honda model, the earth connection was "unfindable", and integrated into other circuitry, unfortunately.

Due to conventions like downstream RCD's being commonplace, I don't see how Victron can ever safely support a centre-tapped earth.

0 Likes 0 ยท

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic