question

Chuck von Beck avatar image
Chuck von Beck asked

What will Multiplus do if L1 is on 15amp and L2 is on 30amp shore power?

If a multiplus-ii 12v 3000 is connected to shore power with L1on a 15 amp and L2 on a 30 amp will it boost and if so how? I have a power dongle that has a 15amp and a 30 amp with them split between L1 and L2. It's not enough to run both ACs which are on separate circuits. Can the multiplus work with this arrangement?

shorepower
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Multis configured for multi-phase input use the same AC current limit for all legs. The legs must also be 180 or 120 degrees apart (not in phase).

If you are talking about the 120X2 model then this is different. The inverter is only in the L1 path. The L2 path is pass through with no assist. Again, the two legs must not be in phase or L2 is rejected. When the grid is absent, L1 and L2 are both connected in phase to the inverter output.

Your power adapter is unsafe. You should never be connecting neutrals from separate sources together. You would never be sure the neutrals are from the same source or at the same voltage and connecting them together will cause currents to flow in the neutral. Any current imbalance could overload one of the neutral wires. If you happen to plug into a GFCI outlet, it will trip.

The best hope of running multiple RV air conditioners on a single 30 amp circuit is to use soft starts on both of them. But keep in mind, a 3000 VA Multi will output at most 2400 watts (20 amps) at 25 degrees C. IIRC, my one AC draw about 1300 watts so two would put you over and doesn't take in to consideration the startup surge.

Many people run a separate cord from the pedestal directly to the second air conditioner unit. This takes a bit of rewiring but it is really the best/safest way to run the two air conditioners with limited shore power.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Chuck von Beck answered ·

Kevin,

Thank you for the great detailed response. So the 2400 Watts is in addition to the 30Amp 3600 watts (assuming we get 120Volts). And with that I can run both ACs. One AC pulls 1500W and the other 1750Watts, plus some other camper AC loads. Everything runs great on 30Amp shore power. Multiplus 2x120 is assisting. But if I try to use my 3000Watt Generator. The system fails. On the face of it, it would seem 3000 Watts plus the Multiplus 2400Watts would be enough. But the Gen bogs down on the second A/C start, and drops off, then the Multiplus follows and reboots. I have a soft start on one unit. On the second bigger start the off brand softstart didn't work so I removed it until I get a brand name one. Do I just need a bigger generator or is there a setting to help with the generator lag?

3 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
There's a setting in the Multi config called dynamic current limit which increases the current supplied from the grid slowly. This can often help the system cope with surges like a compressor start. But keep in mind that a step function current increase will all come from the inverter so it needs to be large enough to handle it.

There are a couple soft start units I'd trust. The one I use is the MicroAir. Another carries the name SoftStartRV. Besides soft starters, there are "hard start" kits that add an additional starter capacitor to the unit. These do little to reduce the inrush current.

1 Like 1 ·
Chuck von Beck avatar image Chuck von Beck Kevin Windrem commented ·
Kevin, Thanks again for the info. Can you give me a bit more direction on where to find that "dynamic current limit"? I checked Settings, advanced, and other menus both on the display and with the vrm portal. For some different reason the remote console isn't connecting, but everything else on victron connect. Seems to be working. Probably different issue.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Chuck von Beck commented ·
It's in the configuration for the Multi, not the GX device. You need VictronConnect or veconfig (Windows only app) and a MK3 to USB adapter. You can also do this via the VRM portal under devices but you still need veconfig.
0 Likes 0 ·
Chuck von Beck answered ·

Hi Kevin,

As I finally got a moment I enabled the dynamic current limit. I also slightly increased the Power Assist by .2 (do you have an opinion on that? Sometimes I'm on the gen and sometimes a 30 or 50 amp shore power). I've got a MicroAir easy start on order. I had tried two offbrand ones. On the smaller A/C it seems to work. But on the 15,000 BTU unit it would not start. I saw the MicroAir starts the compressor in four increasing steps. Maybe that's a difference from the Chinese copy. I'll find out Sunday hopefully. Thanks again

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic