question

szdan avatar image
szdan asked

EV Charging Station: Frozen display

Hello fellow Victron enthusiasts.

Me again with another question from the field. As we installed a few devices lately we encounter quite a lot of issues. Two customers now report that the screen on the EV Chrager just freezes up randomly and only solution is to turn of AC power for few minutes and restart. One of them even says the display looks like two displays into one, on frozen and one overlayed. Before I drive 200km thought I will ask here.

As a side story to get a grasp on whole situation how much it costs a company having a product with poor Q&A and how much time and frustration from customer end:

This customer was sold a premium Victron system instead of a Huawei setup (which our company has three times more deployments and zero issues of this kind reported).

The original setup:

3 x Multi II 3KVA
Cerbo GX

MPPT 250/100 & 250/60
EV Charging station on AC out
Pytes 5kw LIFEPO4

1. On day of installation we noticed the LED ring on the EV charging station was not lighting up. Local dealer had no idea what is going on and sent a replacement which had the LED ring work but display was frozen. Yet another 3rd device was sent (already 3rd customer visit) which had same LED ring issues as the first. Thanks to this community and Guy we were told to upgrade the device and LED ring issue got resolved. (we ignored the frozen screen with the second unit - comes back to bite us later)
2. Not long after this the user called us one of the MPPT's is not working. We went out and found the 250/100 unit was dead. Replaced under warranty and dealer reported it was a hardware fault.
3. Customer now called and reported the new MPPT installed never reaches the same levels of PV power like the one before. We could somewhat agree with customer from stats between the two devices. Decission was taken to replace the solar chargers with a RS 450/200 because of so many visits already.
4. After this we notice that the grid feed-in is up and down about which I posted here and got a response to upgrade the Pytes firmware as it is a known issue. (8th visit!)
5. Now we still have an issues where the EV Charging station just freezes up randomly and customer is really pissed off with Victron setup.

The firware is the latest as can be observed: 1719995308258.pngHas anyone else run into this issue recently?

ev charging station
1719995308258.png (109.7 KiB)
5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Hi, sorry to hear about what you are describing above. But 2 of the issue were just firmware updates, one of them with a non Victron product.

Regarding the EVCS with the frozen screen, most of the time when this is happening is because of GND issues. The easiest way to solve this would be to add a ferrite core around the screen communication cable. There were few cases here on the community and that was the solution. With the GX devices, we are usually delivering extra ferrite cores. Can you arrange adding it?

0 Likes 0 ·
szdan avatar image szdan Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Lucian. Will ask local dealer if he can provide any. However, to my engineering mind the problem has to be more serious because then it would only affect the UI of the station. However, when stuck, the car doesn't charge either.

0 Likes 0 ·
So the whole unit is frozen? That sounds like a different issue. I will send you an email.
0 Likes 0 ·
szdan avatar image szdan Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Lucian. Have sent videos to Cristi Parv. also.

Here are a few captures where I have connected to the EV stations interface by laptop and compared to what it is actually showing on LED screen:

Notice on screen it says Disconnected, in fact it was charging:
screenshot-2024-07-07-090013.png

LED screen seems to be stuck and then overlayed (notice Start button over text - button doesn't work):

screenshot-2024-07-07-090220.png

Same a couple of minutes later (notice area over Start button, in fact should have been a Stop button as car was charging. See the 5.60kW figure. Also area where it should have been saying Charging 3P was stuck on Disconnecd:

screenshot-2024-07-07-090050.png
screenshot-2024-07-07-090118.png
This is definitely a software bug folks.

0 Likes 0 ·
szdan avatar image szdan szdan commented ·
Product EV Charging Station 32A
Firmware version v1.28
Last connection a minute ago
Serial number HQ23014XUUC
Position EV charger on output
VRM instance 40

Using latest firmware for EV with screen from website.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers