question

sahmdahn avatar image
sahmdahn asked

North American and South American AC Grid Input for RV Travel

Hello. First time poster here. I have tried searching the forums for an answer to my question and have been unsuccessful. So please let me know if this has been asked before.

I have a customer who is planning to travel through all of North (NA) and South America (SA) with their Truck Camper. I am building a full system for them with 4xGC2H Battleborn Batteries, Cerbo, Shunt, Solar, etc. This customer wants to have shore power in NA and SA. I am located in the US and have only worked with 120V/60Hz shore power. I know Victron has the capability to work with both though.

My question is what is the best what to have shore power across multiple AC grids that are 230v and 110v at 50Hz and 60Hz?

Solution 1 (see below): The Victron Centaur Charger/Phoenix Inverter. I have not seen many posts about this unit, but this seems to be the best solution. Use the Centaur for any AC input as it is able to auto adjust to any voltage or frequency, then utilize the Phoenix 12/3000 120v Inverter for AC Ouput to the camper. The question with this solution, regards the physical adapters that would get plugged into the shore power plug. In the US we use 30a plugs like this one (https://furrion.com/products/power-inlet), but how do I know what adapters to get for each SA country? I can’t seem to find a lot of trusted sources out there regarding this info.

ac-wiring-solution.jpg

Solution 2: Utilize the Multiplus 12/3000/50-120 120v for the AC output for the whole camper and AC Input for 60Hz Circuits. Then add in a Skylla IP65 Battery Charger on its own shore power plug for any 50Hz Circuits. When plugged into NA Circuits, the MP does everything AC. When on SA Circuits, the Skylla handles AC In, and the MP handles AC Out. This solution seems more clunky, but would get the job done. Although similar questions arise regarding the physical adapters to each plug style used.

Any and all thoughts are welcome. I know Victron is big in the boating/yachting world, so it seems this type of issue would have come up before.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter ChargerSkylla
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

MultiPlus Product page Quattro Product page 

MultiPlus 230V ManualQuattro 230V Manual

MultiPlus 230V Datasheet Quattro 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codesVE.Bus configuration guide

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic