question

thomasxxx avatar image
thomasxxx asked

Battery protect 220

Best settings for battleborn 12v 100ah in parallel for solar?

Lithium Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Why do you even need one since your BB as a BMS with shut down at 10.0 volts. Why do you need a BP220? Do you have 220 amps of 12VDC appliances?

Look like program 1 is your best option with shutdown at 10 volts and restart at 11.5 volts.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

As a side note comment. If you are using the BP as a lower voltage shut down on your DC appliances, the Smart BP100 would be better suited for your Battle Born 12volt as the Smart BP offer user defined shut down and restart so you could set it at 10.20 volts shut down and a restart of 10.80 for a restart. You cant do this for the preset older version BP. Again I do not think you need to spend the money for the bp220 as the smart bp100 may better suit your needs.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@Thomasxxx., I have to echo @Tom's query: How, specifically, are you proposing to use the BP220? That you specified you have solar coming in sort of suggests that you're proposing to use the BP as a charge cutoff to protect from overcharging, or?? Your BattleBorns, of course, have both high- and low-voltage cutoffs, so you don't need a BP in either case, unless you want to set the low-voltage cutoff higher than the BB's settings... in which case the BP220's settings are entirely dependent on your own preferences.

It's worth stating here, too, that the BP line (both the Smart and the Blue) is unidirectional in operation; absolutely do not connect it in any manner which might permit "reverse" current through it, as this will weld the FETs closed, open, or halfway between and start generating a whole lot of heat. Thus, although Victron does provide schematics showing a BP connected between a charge source and battery, I very strongly recommend against doing so. Also, do not connect the BP220 between a battery bank and an inverter. While the 220A rating is well above most inverters' rated draw, their inrush current frequently dramatically exceeds the BP's rating.

So, tl;dr: Don't use it as a high-voltage charge disconnect, because your BBs already have that and you may very likely destroy the BP220 in doing so. If you're using the BP220 as a low-voltage disconnect for your loads, then you've already decided that the BB's built-in low voltage disconnect is too low, in which case you can decide for yourself what voltage you'd like, and program the BP220 accordingly.

2 |3000

thomasxxx avatar image
thomasxxx answered ·

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

2 |3000

thomasxxx avatar image
thomasxxx answered ·

Thanks, I wont use the 220.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic