question

geomz avatar image
geomz asked

ESS system questions

Hello,

I have a Quattro 24/5000/120 connected to a pair of 12V lithium batteries in series, with a BMV 712 monitoring them.

I also have a backup generator in the system wired to a transfer switch.

I am adding PV panels (and Victron MPPT controllers) to use to both charge the batteries and supply AC loads when able.
ESS seems the only solution that allows this, as without it, my MPPT controllers act primarily as battery chargers and no portion of the solar used for AC loads.

My questions are,

1) Can I please have the grid code password?

2) My installation is in the US. There is no US gridcode option, so I assume I will be using other. Is this correct?

3) In using other as a gridcode, I have no desire to feed any power back to the grid-main. So I intend to set feed-in to disabled and to set LOM to B. Are there additional settings to review?

4) With no Feed-in and LOM to B, that should disable any possibility of sending current back out AC input 1 (grid-mains), correct?

5) My visual indication that LOM was successfully detected is when the CCGX show no mains input. At that point there is no possibility current could exist on AC1 (grid-mains) Is this correct?

Thank you in advance for your help.

ESSsolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Geomz

Sorry for not seeing this question before.

Did you find the answers by now?

A couple of things to keep in mind:

-when running generator, you probably have to disable LOM detection, as you have a Quattro, you can setup one of the AC inputs to disable LOM detection

-for legal reasons (incorrect grid-code), you might not want to use ESS, but instead disconnect AC-input when batteries are charged enough.

-grid-code password: ask your installer or distributor

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic