question

dkkude avatar image
dkkude asked

Battery Protect Problem

Hi.

Have just installed a 220 amp battery protect in my system. I have 13.7 volts in, but for some reason only 5.5 out. Out is too a bus bar with positive connections to 2000 watt in inverter 12v distribution board and a solar charger..

What am I doing wrong?

Thank you

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Do you have the load out connected to your 12 volt appliances and the Batt in connected to the out of the DC inverter? You should try to reset the BP and then reprogram it. If you have not programed it you have to do that first before you apply a load to it. Programing requires connection of the program lead to ground until you get the desired shut down value.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dkkude avatar image dkkude commented ·

Hi Tom yes, I did have those connections. I had programmed it before applying load. It appears I may have fried the unit by allowing reverse current. I have since disconnected the BP. DO you know the procedure for factory reset, so I can test the unit with correct connections? I cant see procedure in the instruction manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
dkkude avatar image
dkkude answered ·

Hi Tom.

I have programmed to setting 8. The inverter is on the load side. Input is straight from a fused battery. Forgot to mention that I get a short circuit error followed by under voltage. I feel it may be influence of inverter. I’m going to test it with inverter removed.

Thanks

2 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The inrush current of the inverter can be detected as a short circuit.

You also should remove the solar charger from that bus bar. A current flow in reverse direction through the BP can destroy the BP.

0 Likes 0 ·
Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

Just to be clear, when you say inverter, you don't have an inverter charger? Your BP should be connected between the inverter DC positive and DC bus bar for your 12 VDC appliances.

Have you run your negative battery cable to ground on your vehicle? That needs to be done to have a proper flow of electrons.

0 Likes 0 ·
alpinebound avatar image
alpinebound answered ·

No expert here I had the same problem 5 volts out I unhooked the jumper remote then I took the program to ground reset the BP onto setting d then reprogram it to your desired setting that works for me

2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

@dkkude, I can say with a high degree of certainty that you've inadvertently fried your BP :-(

The BatteryProtect line is unidirectional only; in hooking it up as you've described above, which is between your battery and a busbar to which there is a solar charger attached, there is current flow in both directions through the BP; that is, current from the battery to the busbar when your loads are on, and current from the busbar to your battery when the solar is charging. This will almost immediately destroy the functionality of the unit; the FETs will weld (usually) closed when this happens, but sometimes open or -in your case- half-open, thus permitting only a portion of the current through. Sorry to say, but you'll need to contact the distributor from whom you purchased the BP and request a warranty replacement (saying this as the guy who runs the test bench for one of those distributors).

When you get your replacement unit, a few things:

First, connect your solar charger directly to your battery(s); second, connect your inverter directly to the battery(s). As others have commented here, the inrush current on an inverter can easily far surpass the surge rating even of the BP220... as such, you can't run the inverter through it. Any good inverter has its own low-voltage disconnect in any case, so it should be unnecessary for that purpose.

Once you have your inverter and your chargers running directly to the battery(s), then you can use the BP between the battery(s) and your now load-only POS busbar.

1 comment
2 |3000

dkkude avatar image dkkude commented ·

Thanks for the insight Justin. Appears my inexperience has cost me a few quid :(

With your explination I now know what I have done wrong. Do you know if there a method of testing the BP to establish if it is indeed fried?

Regards

Darrel

0 Likes 0 ·
lshantz avatar image
lshantz answered ·

I have the same unit and I thought I understood how this works. I have the alternator on the in terminal. On the out, it goes to the battery. That seems like a 1 way only connection, no?

In shows 14.1 volts and 11.3 - 11.7 out.

The bluetooth no longer shows up either.

2 |3000