question

Trevin Corkery avatar image
Trevin Corkery asked

Can you configure your system with Modbus-TCP?

I've wanted maximum control with my devices for creating tools that will automatically configure your system, etc. (I am a developer)

With CCGX and Modbus-TCP can you say change the maximum current for your charge controller? Or with the new MPPT update, change the re-bulk / absorption / float voltage?

If it can't I would rather stick to VE.Direct and sniff the serial data since the VictronConnect allows you to do so.

Venus OSCCGX Color ControlModbus TCP
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, ModbusTCP only allows for reading and writing operational values, not configuration.

You’re indeed better off with vedirect for this.

Fyi we ll also update the vedirect documentation; a few weeks from now.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trevin Corkery avatar image Trevin Corkery commented ·

That's actually awesome news. I was pretty worried when I was told that it was no longer supported.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ Trevin Corkery commented ·

Perhaps some message got a bit transformed in its way to you.

For many situations, ModbusTCP is the better choice. So indeed we actively encourage people to check that out first. Before trying and work with our proprietary protocols.

Anyway; have a good weekend!

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are only certain Modbus registers that are writeable.

Cosult the Modbus-TCP register list for writable registers:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support-and-downloads/whitepapers

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Cross-post; ;o)

thanks Warwick!

0 Likes 0 ·