question

anacrhy2007 avatar image
anacrhy2007 asked

ESS & ET112 METER - Overload L1: Warning VE.Bus System [276]

Hi There, I have this installation - With random WARNING - L1 OVERLOAD

victron-1.jpg

1x Multiplus II 48/8000
1x MPPT 150/85
1x Solis Grid Tie Inverter 4.6KW (Grid Side)
2x BSL 5KWH PowerlIne

vrm.png

With The ET112 grid meter I get the "AC LOADS" reading in VRM that accurately shows the extrenal heavier loads. These are Pumps for water, Irrigation, Stables. This is very usefull, but I keep getting random "WARNING L1 OVERLOAD" messages. It never goes to an actual alarm though. I belive it might be inrush currents on the "AC LOADS" side. eg. borehole pump running or starting a lawn mower. Below an image of heavy load test on the AC1 output (no errors), this only seems to happen (VERY RANDOMLY) when heavy loads run on the grid side (HEAVY EXTERNAL LOADS). Why is this? These loads are supposed to merely be suplemented by the system and not supplied.

untitled-1.jpg

The screen shot on the left was taken during such a "Overload L1: Warning VE.Bus System [276]" event.
The screen shot on the right was taken during a test with NO overload warnings at all.

Does someone know what it is that is going on here?

Multiplus-IIcerbo gxESSet112 pv readings
vrm.png (41.7 KiB)
victron-1.jpg (103.5 KiB)
untitled-1.jpg (39.9 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
anacrhy2007 avatar image
anacrhy2007 answered ·

I think I may have found the solution to the issue (by accident). As mentioned above while troubleshooting I disconnected the external grid meter. When I plugged the USB port back in, the BMSCAN port stopped working (mmmm this worries me, but so be it). This forced me to use the VECAN port re-configured for BMS CAN. I then moved the MPPT to a VE.DIRECT port.

5 Days later and not a single "Overload L1: Warning VE.Bus System [276]" since then.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sharpener avatar image
sharpener answered ·

A big pump will present a very low impedance across the supply when it starts up. It would not be surprising if some of the starting current comes out of the inverter AC-in terminals causing the warnings you see. (The AC-in, AC1-Out and AC2-Out are all connected together by the internal relays anyway.)

If there are no other issues caused by this can you simply turn off the warnings?

3 comments
2 |3000

anacrhy2007 avatar image anacrhy2007 commented ·

Ignoring it won't work for me. Today it gave 22 warnings, yesterday almost the same amount. Other times, once a day. I have done numerous test even with Support from our suppliers to no avail.
I did however (after removing and reconnecting the Grid meter USB port on the Cerbo GX) get a BMS "DISCONNECTED" error and a BMS CAN "STOPPED" error under the services menu, can't get it back online. Had to move the battery comms to VE CAN and reconfigure.

It's starting to point more and more towards a Cerbo / Battery BMS comms issue. If it is this will be the 3rd Cerbo GX with a damaged BMS BUS port (at this site). Changed a whole set of batteries to try resolve the issue.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/206389/cerbo-gx-bms-can-pylontech-force-l1-damaged-bms.html?childToView=276294#comment-276294

0 Likes 0 ·
daza avatar image daza anacrhy2007 commented ·
Can you not move the Solis to the critical load side it’s still under 5kW, think it may control the load better rather than the split the other way, worth a try if it’s not to hard to regig
0 Likes 0 ·
anacrhy2007 avatar image anacrhy2007 daza commented ·
That is on the check list of things to do, but since it's such a task I'm leaving that for last :)

0 Likes 0 ·