question

Tom avatar image
Tom asked

Multiplus 24/3000 50-70 charging amps

I have a Multiplus 24/3000 connected to 30 amp shore power service. I have my charging amps set at 70 amps. I am only getting 50 charging amps and in input load is 14.4 amps. Why can't I get 70 charging amps when I have 15 more amps in reserve not being used?. At 20 amps shore power still the same 50 amps 14.4 incoming amps. Same with generator power with a 30 amp 3600 watt generator.

Do I have some settings wrong?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

Do you also have this issue in bulk phase? As it will limit charge power once in absorption and can ONLY provide maximum charge power during bulk.

What is your input current limit set to in VE.Configue? As that could be restricting it.

Are yo also running other high loads at the time, that can be drawing part of the AC input?

Have you got any settings like 'Dynamic current limiter', 'Power Assist' or 'Weak AC input' active? Maybe try to deactivate them temporarily.

I also recall that there has been some discussion about this on Victron Community in the past (run a search) and if I recall correctly, by design there is meant to be a ~10% buffer to the programmed maximum.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

I am using a 30 amp service incoming. I have the input limit set at 30 amps. The 50 amp charging limit is in Bulk charge.

Unit acts the same in charger only as well as inverter on. Tested dynamic current limiter both on and off. No other loads on.

Then only thing I did not test was turning power assist off.

Tom

0 Likes 0 ·
rithym1964 avatar image rithym1964 Tom commented ·

Hi

Did this situation ever get resolved? I have a Multi II 48V and the charge is set to 70A from a 30A grid supply. I never see more than 52A charge, about 75% despite playing with various settings on & off (UPS, DCL, Weak AC, etc)

0 Likes 0 ·
Sten avatar image
Sten answered ·

You need to connect with a usb - mk3 interface and look under charge settings. I think the current is limited there.

I have a 12/1200/50 witch is set default to 37A, so I think yours maby to is

1 comment
2 |3000

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

Nope. I have a MK3 and have set charging amps to 70

0 Likes 0 ·
mrhappy avatar image
mrhappy answered ·

I also wonder about this. My Multiplus-II is set to 70A charging current and I have never seen it charge above 60 Amps. Not using "Dynamic current limiter" or "Weak AC input"...

2 |3000

erichabg avatar image
erichabg answered ·

I think this is caused by the power limit of the charger. And the limit is: nominal voltage of the Multiplus (i.e. 24V) * nominal max current (ie. 70A). As an example for a Mutliplus 24/3000/70 you get 24V*70A = 1680W(VA). But when the battery reaches higher SOC then the voltage increases, i.e. to 28V. In this case the max. current is reduced to 1680W/28V=60A.

Regards Erich

1 comment
2 |3000

mrhappy avatar image mrhappy commented ·
That seems logical. I just checked VRM from when I last started a bulk charge. The VE.Bus system registered 63.2A charging current, the BMV shunt registered 60.8A into the battery at 25.92 Volts. (=1576 Watts)

The rest of the curve also seems to follow what you are saying. Glad to put that mystery to rest. Thank you!

/MrHappy

0 Likes 0 ·
dsatwork avatar image
dsatwork answered ·

I have the opposite question, I have a Multiplus ll 2x120 and I'm on 30AMP supply and regularly see 95A on my touch display. How that is even possible, how do you get 95AMPS out of a 30AMP service?

1 comment
2 |3000

mrhappy avatar image mrhappy commented ·

The answer is the same in a way. I guess you have the 12V model, where it can theoretically charge your batteries with 120A. That is 12 Volts. The amps you draw from "the wall" is 120 Volts which means lower amperage but still the same power.

When charging with 95 Amps I guess the battery is 13-14 volts, which means around 1300W. This means you would only need about 11A from the 120V service.

0 Likes 0 ·
gantaa avatar image
gantaa answered ·

I have the same Multiplus 24/3000/70 but I only have a 15A shore power plug. I notice similar charging results as you where input load is around 14A (I also have max charging amps configured to 70). I have considered changing to a 30A shore power plug to see if I can get faster charges. But, it appears from this thread and these calculations that I likely won't see any gains in charging speed if I do. My electrical friends suggested the 15A plug when I told them of my inverter specs originally. I didn't understand their caluclations then, but I suppose this is what they were talking about.

What do you think? Will there be any performance gain switching from 15A to 30A? I find it hard to believe an inverter that is this expensive can only support the smallest shore power plug.

2 |3000