question

prairiepower avatar image
prairiepower asked

Turning on Multiplus, Multiplus II & Quattros with +12V signal (ignition or 12V switch)

Hello,

I see this touched on briefly here, but not enough for me to execute it. (https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/86281/putting-12v-on-multiplus-input-signal.html). Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff), answered it and can probably flesh this out more. It should be a a common enough pre-done Assistant, in my opinion. But I can make it with instructions and save it for my future business use that I can program on customer's units.

I need to be able turn on the Multiplus, Multiplus II & Quattros with +12V signal (ignition signal which can be engine run or key on, or also very commonly simply +12V from a 12V switch).

How do I do this? Full directions, step by step, please. The manuals are extremely unclear on this. I know if I give ground to the upper remote terminal of the MPII, I can turn it on. But I want to give +12V because that's extremely common in my industry (where other brands of inverters have historically dominated the market). Industry is Work Trucks & Vans.

Also, the Safety Switch assistant is not at all a viable solution.

Thanks in advance!

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

Connect an ordinary 12V car relais to the Ignition switch and with the contacts you control the Remote Control input.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@PrairiePower

On a MP2 there is not need for an assistant.

There is already a physical remote on/off. See Appendix A - J.

Most of the inverters require at least a dry contact to switch on/off (with no voltage.)

I see what you are trying to do though.

2 |3000

prairiepower avatar image
prairiepower answered ·

I appreciate the responses. However,

@Michelle Konzack I don't want to have to buy and install a separate relay.

@Alexandra I know there is a a Remote On/Off set of terminals ("J" in Appendix A). However, they are not achieving what I want. I know if I provide Ground (-) to the upper of those 2 terminals, the inverter will turn on. Remove the ground from that upper terminal and it turns off. That's fine for many but not for my industry. I want to provide a Positive 12V signal to a terminal and have the inverter turn on. Remove that Positive 12V signal, and I want the inverter to turn off.

Furthermore, and not previously mentioned by me, is I'd like the ability to have the following two options work as well.

1) Leave the Built-In Switch in the Charger Only position, and have the +12V signal I provide turn the inverter on. Remove the 12V signal and the inverter should turn off BUT ALSO be ready to charge as soon as shore power is presented.

2) Be able to have a Digital Multi Control GX installed, and we leave that Switch in the Charger Only position, and still be able to turn the inverter On with a +12V signal and Off by removing it, and be ready for the charger to activate when shore power is presented.

Call me picky, but that's what the industry wants.

Is it possible? If anyone at Victron would like to call me about this, that would be appreciated. Probably shouldn't put my phone number in this thread (I am new to forums and what is proper and what isn't).

Thanks.

Ryan

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@PrairiePower
Yeah personal information is never a good idea on an open forum.

This is not an official ask Victron forum, (see community guidlines) the official channel is local dealer then it gest passed up.

You can make a post with it as a feature request. (Tag on post and in name).

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/93884/phoenix-500-remote-bridge-switch.html

The phoenix can have a 12v remote on the remote switch like the mppts do so it would work for them.

0 Likes 0 ·