question

walter-widmore avatar image
walter-widmore asked

EVCS: Stop charging when drawing battery current is too high

Hi all,

Using the EVCS in an off-grid setup. I was expecting the 'auto' mode to stop when the solar drops OR when other loads turn on & the drawing battery current is too high. However I notice that the car keeps charging and my battery is being discharged at more than 100A. (Which I don't want.) If I manually disable the charge and enable "auto" again it correctly says "waiting for sun".

Is this expected behaviour or am I missing a setting?

Thanks

screenshot-2024-05-22-at-132653.png

evcs
7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Setting/general.
Disable it or reduce the time.

1716378275107.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1716378275107.png (26.0 KiB)
walter-widmore avatar image walter-widmore Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Got it. Thanks. Any future plans on a "max battery discharge" setting?

I'll disable it because I don't want to exceed the -100A limit but I assume now it will constantly start/stop while discharging till (for example) -50A would be OK for a specified timeout.
0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ walter-widmore commented ·
It's a bit complicated, but yes, we have some plans. It will work only when Automatic mode will be controlled from the GX device.
1 Like 1 ·
walter-widmore avatar image walter-widmore Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Nice! If I may add another request: Right now I can say to the EVCS "start charging at battery SoC X", but using off-grid DVCC, I want to allow it to charge as soon as there's more solar energy available than the battery is allowed to charge, even if the SoC is for example 50%.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ walter-widmore commented ·

But we don't know what is the available power. That information doesn't exist.

0 Likes 0 ·

I know it's currently not a known value (which I find strange & miss for other automations) but don't the MPPTs know how much they're 'throwing away'?

0 Likes 0 ·

No, that energy is not consumed, it is basically not used.

It is like saying - do you know how much power you are not consuming from your wall socket?

But there is a way, you can add an irradiation sensor, and for each irradiation value, you can determine the maximum PV production. Then, based on those, you are able to have an estimated energy that was not used.

1 Like 1 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic