question

marcus-m avatar image
marcus-m asked

EV Charging Station Display fault

Hello,

on my EVCS (FW 1.25) sometimes the display "crashes", see attached picture, but the EVCS is still working fine and accessible via web interface and VenusOS. My investigations lead to the assumption, that it happens if the EVCS is disconnecting the vehicle charging at higher loads, e.g. vehicle is charging 2P 12A and you press the stop button the display immediately crashes. When disconnection at smaller loads (2P 6 or 8A) everything is fine.

Anyone else here with the same issue? Any ideas what the problem could be?

Many thanks and best regads,

Marcuspxl-20230604-092213470.jpg

evcs
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

It might be a spike from the relays that is reaching the screen electronics. What we can do is to modify the software, so before switching the relay off, to “tell” the vehicle to reduce the power to minimum and then to open the relay. Are you in for testing this? If yes, email me please ( lpopescu@victronenergy.com)
0 Likes 0 ·
Masquelier Pierre avatar image Masquelier Pierre Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

to Victron: Oh!, it is forbidden to cut the currents by the relays. It is absolutely necessary to reduce the front power before (electric Spark safety and over voltage protection with high inductives loads: like long cable, switching power supply, etc...). The service life of relays is often specified with a zero power cut (The relay manufacturer's specifications should be consulted) . And the life of the relays is greatly reduced if there is a strong current. I hope your relays are well-design.

Pierre: expert in Wireless Power (WPC).

0 Likes 0 ·
8 Answers
davidv avatar image
davidv answered ·

Hello

I have the same problem at 6A 3 phases

The EVCS firmware is 1.26.

Can you help me?

Thanks

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

In the latest firmware, it is reducing the power to minimum before opening the contactor

4 comments
2 |3000

davidv avatar image davidv commented ·

is v1.26 the latest version?

0 Likes 0 ·
davidv avatar image davidv commented ·

is v1.26 the latest version?

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ davidv commented ·

hi, yes

0 Likes 0 ·
davidv avatar image davidv Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I have the same problem as Mr. Dean Perry.

My EVCS have v1.26, à display bloc from time to time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Dean Perry avatar image
Dean Perry answered ·

"me too"

This unit is also now on v1.26 - rebooting Cerbo will make it reconnect with the EV Charger but otherwise, the charger disappears off the network.

It will still work, but none of the Cerbo-associated functionality works.img-6765.jpg

img-6765.jpg (2.4 MiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Hi, in this picture, the unit is running 1,26?

0 Likes 0 ·
Dean Perry avatar image Dean Perry Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

yes, correct.

Firmware update applied Wednesday 19 July - Update firmware for EV Charging Station 32A from version '1.23' to version '1.26'

Photo taken 24th July

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Is it possible for one of you to add a ferrite core around the LCD cable and then post the result here?

2 |3000

crisg avatar image
crisg answered ·

Same Problem with firmware 1.27

This has happened 3 times in one week! Poor quality, very disappointing considering the price!

4 comments
2 |3000

What problem, with the screen? Give more details and let's try to solve it
0 Likes 0 ·
crisg avatar image crisg Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes, the screen crashes, I had the problem with firmware 1.26 and also with 1.27.

I'll try to find a ferrite core as you suggested.

The last time it crashed it was only charging at 8 amps single phase with the solar panels. I can't say exactly when it crashed as I'm not in front of the screen at the time.

My system consists of a Multiplus2 5kVA (a second one will be monted soon + additional bat.), 3 charge controllers, 85A, 35A and 20A, 8700W of solar panels, 11kWH of storage. 2 Victron EVCS charging stations: 1 without screen (NS) and 1 with screen. 1 Peugeot e208 and 1 Tesla M3. Grid power 12kVA

0 Likes 0 ·
ok, and there are issues only with the one with the screen? When the screen is crashing, you can still access the webpage?
0 Likes 0 ·
crisg avatar image crisg Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

yes, the only problem is the screen display, the other NS station doesn't give me any particular worries. Now I can't say if I was still able to use the web interface, I can't remember if I tried but I found that despite the lack of display the vehicle continued to be charged.

It's sunny today at my place, the Tesla is plugged in ... maybe we'll have another screen crash?... I'll keep you informed if that happens and I'll see if I can access the station's web page.

0 Likes 0 ·
sonic avatar image
sonic answered ·

Hi There, I have the same issue as described above. The screen faults as per the screenshots above but the charger works perfectly, charging the car and is fully accessible through the web interface and is accessible through VRM. A power off / power on restores the screen, I will test re-creating the issue with a disconnection of the car and i will test adding a ferrite core around the LCD cable and report back.

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi, we also have the firmware 1.28 that will be released soon, and it has some extra checking for the screen communication. But please try with the ferrite core first.

0 Likes 0 ·
sonic avatar image sonic Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Ok i have not yet added the ferrite core. I have tried maybe 20 times to re-create the screen issue and cannot, typical! I have had the car charging @ 32 amps and i have pressed the disconnect button on the car and plugged it out. I have adjusted a security camera to see the screen on the charger. I will wait and see when it happens again and check what was happening at the time.

0 Likes 0 ·
Probably the ferrite core helps, but keep me posted. Some screens are more sensitive.
0 Likes 0 ·
hias0815 avatar image
hias0815 answered ·

Same Problem here, but only since warmer days...
Very anoing if you see the price tag....

Big Question now is:
If i update to the latest FW do i get other "Features" (don't call it a Bug...)?
I run 1.27

Another topic is the bad displayquality itself.
Its getting shrinkel like you see also in @Dean Perry pictures.
My EVCS is mounted in shade and never gets direct sun.
But i think i should open up a new thread about this.

Regards

Matthias

5 comments
2 |3000

What firmware are you running? There were lots of improvements added. This topic is very old, was posted for fw 1.25. Now we have 1.28

0 Likes 0 ·
hias0815 avatar image hias0815 Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Edited above 1.27 is on my EVCS
0 Likes 0 ·
If the power cables are routed very close to the screen, the screen can show those strange patterns. The easiest way is to add a ferite core on the screen cable like the one above. Can you do that?
0 Likes 0 ·
hias0815 avatar image hias0815 Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Shure i can do it.

Where to get the core?

But aggain with this price for the EVCS this shouldnt happen.
Developement at customer, not happy about this especially from Victron.

0 Likes 0 ·
If you have a GX device, there were few ferite cores in the same box. That's because on the GX you can have the same behavior when the communication cable is very close to the high current power lines.
0 Likes 0 ·
lpalaszewski avatar image
lpalaszewski answered ·

Hi im new on this forum but I try find solution last week I have similar problem with screen after reset screen back to normal but now come up error e-06 any idea what can be wrong. img-8427.jpg

img-8427.jpg (2.5 MiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Hi, don't select UK for country yet. There will be an intrusion detector sensor available soon. And because it's missing on your EVCS, you are seeing that notification.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic