question

paullindsay avatar image
paullindsay asked

Surplus Solar via Victron EasySolar 11 to 240 volt side of our gas/240 volt Hot Water RV Cylinder

We are building a new 5th wheel and have 1kw of solar, 2 x 300ah Lifepo4 batteries in series for 24 volt, utilizing a Victron 3000/24 Easy Solar 11 and Victron 12-24/24-12 DC-DC Converters. Our RV hot water system is gas/240volt. What we would like to achieve is using these products, take any surplus solar voltage and once batteries are full, transfer or convert it to the 240 volt supply to the HWC. The HWC is designed to run on both gas and 240 volt if both switched on so we would need a way to have only gas come on if not hooked to shore power. I trust I have explained myself sufficiently and look forward to any help members can give me and look forward to the advice.

EasySolar All-in-OneHot Water Diversiongateway relay
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·

Hi @paullindsay

I prefer to do this using node red and some shelly smart switches. Node red will allow you more options when it comes to defining the turning on criteria of the water heater conditions. I believe you can achieve this using victron assistants but they tend to be less flexible.

Assuming you have normal water heater (either on or off and not one with variable power consumption/PWM control). ,

Then you'd essentially make node red turn on water heater by activating the shelly smart switch when you hit absorption phase and have excess power. (i do this use http node in node red but you can use mqtt or even websockets on the newer shelly smart switches).

If there isnt sufficient power and you start using battery you turn off water heater.

You have to becareful with criteria to make sure water heater isnt constantly being turned on and off. ie you need a buffer between on criteria and off criteria but this is easy to do in practice.

In terms of controlling 240v or gas and makiing sure both aren't on at once. It will depend how you intend to control the gas side. I would recommend a smart switch or smart heating system with a local api. That way you can check the status of the gas side of heater before turning on 240v side.

Again you could use a shelly smart switch. And add logic to node red that does .

if(shellyGas !== on && excessSolar){

msg.payload = 1;

return msg; //this will then flow into http node that activates the shelly240 that turns on 240v water heater

}

Node red means you can get really specific with your criteria so like you said checking if shore power is connected you could add an extra element to if statement like

(if acInVoltage !== 0) //ie no shore power

I'm happy to help with custom node red code if you can provide specific criteria.

1 Like 1 ·
1 Answer
paullindsay avatar image
paullindsay answered ·

Hi Matt 1309 and thank you for your comment/reply which is greatly appreciated. I will be honest and say that I do not understand one part of your reply to my enquiry, however I have forwarded it to the Victron agent here, who supplied me the gear, to interpret your comments and see if we can make it work. Thank you again and I look forward to getting back in touch and letting you know the outcomes at this end

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
In short/less detailed:

You can use a program called node red running on Venus os large (your GX device) to turn on smart switches.

You can define the criteria of when the smart switch turns on/off based on various data from victron system. (node red lets you get very specific with the criteria)

You can also achieve this goal using Victron assistants however they're less flexible with the on/off conditions that you can define. (I imagine Victron agent will suggest this approach which and will use onboard relay to turn on heater rather than using an external smart switch)

Hope that helped explain a bit. I'm happy to provide node red code/more specifics if you go that route/need a hand.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

EasySolar 1600 product page

EasySolar-II GX 3000 & 5000 product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic