question

raymond avatar image
raymond asked

2 x Skylla-i 24/80A 1+1 battery chargers connected in parallel - possible bug?

Hi All,

I have 2 x Skylla-i 24/80A 1+1 output battery chargers (Firmware version v2.07) connected in parallel, 1 x Cerbo GX (Firmware version v3.31) and 1 x Skylla-i Control (Firmware version v2.01) connected to a battery bank.

1 – both Skylla chargers work as expected when used individually, no problem.

2 – but, when connected in parallel (the LEDs on both units flicker), the charge current seems to be similar than that of a single unit, when one would expect it to be double.

The shore current on the Skylla-i Control and Cerbo GX cannot be set higher than 16A (the maximum of a single unit) and the current delivered to the batteries is 80A (the maximum of a single unit as well)

One would expect the max charge current to be 160A.

Has anyone encountered this before and have some suggestions please?

chargerbug reportSkylla
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raymond avatar image raymond commented ·

Hi All,

More information that might help to point me to a solution:

Dip Switch Settings 1 to 6:

1 - off

2 - off

3 - off

4 - off

5 - off

6 - on

Rotary Switch:

I tried both positions 0 and 8.

I am sure this is a software bug, as both units go to full charge capacity (80A) when the other unit is switched off. When both are switched on, they equal out to 40A charge each. This is shown on the front panel LEDs.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
raymond avatar image
raymond answered ·

This is most definitely a bug:

In the manual, on page 8, paragraph 2.3.6 Synchronised parallel operation it states the following:

“The shore current limit of the parallel charger group can be set with the Skylla-i control panel. The current limit as shown on the panel is the shore current of the group.”

The problem is that it cannot be set higher than the current limit of a single unit, in my case 16A. For the group, it should be 32A. On the VictronConnect image below, you can see the ‘+’ is grayed out. Setting it from the Gerbo GX or Skylla-i control panel, it just jumps back to 16A when entering a larger value.

victron.png

Does anyone know the channels to follow to get this bug reported to Victron? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

victron.png (42.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

raymond avatar image raymond commented ·

I have now reported this issue to our distributor, we now wait and see....

0 Likes 0 ·
raymond avatar image
raymond answered ·

I’ve been patiently waiting for nearly a month now, yet I haven’t received any response from our supplier, Victron Support, or even a member of the community. It seems like my issue has been met with silence, without even a simple acknowledgement.

Could anyone kindly provide some guidance on how to effectively catch the attention of Victron? I’m at my wits’ end and could really use some assistance. Thank you.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Skylla-IP65 product page (12v, 24v)

Skylla-i product page (24v)

Skylla-TG Charger product page (24v, 48v)

Skylla-TG GMDSS product page (24v)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic