question

image6255 avatar image
image6255 asked

Victron, Pylontech, legacy solar and ESS

Just installed a MultiPlus II GX with two Pylontech US5000 batteries and enabled ESS.

My installation has nothing on AC outs 1/2 and there is a Victron CT clamp on the grid connection which is connected to the Multiplus.

Also I have a legacy PV system which is on the AC IN side.

Essentially, I want my Victron to charge the batteries when there is a grid export and discharge into AC IN when there is a grid import over some threshold.

Could you give me a hint how should I set the system up please?

Should the ESS / Grid Metering option be set to "Inverter/Charger" or "External Meter"?

Thank you.

ess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

You should set it on external meter, grid meter

Accuracy and speed is not that high

If you want better performance, use a ET112 on grid connection and an ET112 on the PV inverter

Also you will have to set a grid setpoint and maybe use scheduled charging to get what you want

You can read this for more unserstanding of how it works and set up:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/index-en.html

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

image6255 avatar image
image6255 answered ·

Unfortunately, the linked manual does not mention CT clamps at all.

Although, from what I can see, if I set Grid Metering to "Inverter/Charger", everything works just as I want.

Yes, there seem to be some discrepancies between measurements from Victron clamp and other clamps I have, but that doesn't seem to be extremely important.

I'm considering adding an ET112 into my system but I'm literally out of slots in my fuse box. Fortunately, I have two spare twisted couples which should be enough for RS485 connection with my inverter, but I'm out of slots :)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic