question

groningen avatar image
groningen asked

ESS with Pace BMS and MPPT

Dear All

I have installed a battery pack (Deye, 5k) that according to me, has a Pace BMS.

I have connected the BMS to the CAN side of the CERBO. All is good and running that shows voltage and state of charge.

Yesterday I connected the MPPT's, all is up and running and visible within the CERBO.

However, I uploaded ESS (same as with my other machines) but it seems that "Self-consumption" is not the same.

If SOC is set at 85%, the MPPT's matches the consumption. BUT, as soon as SOC is reached, the system reverts back to GRID and the MPPTS are not charging the battery nor sending power to the consumption (ac side). This is during the day with lots of sun. This behavior is good if no SUN is present. My other system (lets say 20m away) reverts back to grid if SOC is low, but the MPPTS keep charging the battery and if excess, sends to AC loads.

It is a basic layout, AC in from Grid, Multiplus2 (5k), all loads to AC1 out. Running two MPPT's.

The only difference from my other setup is that I have a PACE BMS. The other system has a Victron Shunt installed.

Can it be that the PACE BMS does not allow charging after SOC is reached? Or should I install a victron SHUNT and call it a day.

Unless it is something to do with the CVL, CCL etc. Should this be set?

(PS, if battery is low, the system charges the battery)

MPPT ControllersBMSess settings
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Groningen

The simplest way to tell is remove it under DVCC as the controlling bms. Be aware that things (mppt) may throw out error like error 63. And that may require a reset/re program.

If this sorts it then you are good and can carry on with the shunt or whatever you like after.

What does the ccl and cvl and dcl say at the time it all parks off?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

Super, thanks for the quick response.

Also, I got an V-Sense error high reading.

Is this something to do with CCL, DCL?

4 comments
2 |3000

groningen avatar image groningen commented ·

I am checking the settings for CCL DCL

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Ve sense check the source address i think that is a mp2 thing?
0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Indeed, normally with GEL or Lead batteries. But I will send a screen shot

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ groningen commented ·

@Groningen

Sorry SVS also can be set in DVCC. Not sure if that would have triggered the v sense errror. The inverter probably also had a wobble.
0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

I just changed it from 90% SOC to Keep Batteries fully charged. Now the Inverter is giving me a Low Battery warning????

Strange as this is the same as my other setup without the PACE bms. I see it is listed in the Device list as ES-BOX12.

2 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Groningen

I know essentially they may be similar but no two installs are the same ever.

Is your ess assistant set up for different values on the c rating step?

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image groningen Alexandra ♦ commented ·
@Alexandra

No, I kept the same values.

Do you think I should change this?

3rd party battery packs are nice, but man, can be challenging to get the right settings.

PS. I think somewhere there was a chat w.r.t. bms asking for "float" but MPPT wants + 1.5V or so. Not sure if this is also the problem.

Sun has set now here, so I can only check again in the morning when things start to operate again.

Alternatively, I should disconnect the BMS and install a Victron Shunt. Or ...

0 Likes 0 ·
groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

From various sources, it seems that svs (within dvcc) should be turned off (for lifepo4 and ess). I will confirm later when sun is up.

Also, ccl, dcl etc. is being controlled by bms (shows up under parameters). Furthermore, I see movement of Tx and Rx so packets are sent/received. Charge/discharge is set at 100ah (this value is fixed unless I program the bms within battery).

2 |3000

groningen avatar image
groningen answered ·

@Alexandra

I disabled the SVS in DVCC, will have to wait and see if the error message pop's up again.

2 |3000