question

zenoco avatar image
zenoco asked

Cerbo GX MK2 - No BMS-Can for Seplos 280

We just ordered a Cerbo GX MK2 and Multiplus2 48/5000, to connect to our Seplos Mason 280 battery boxes. They have the V2 (10E) BMS fitted. I see this new Cerbo version does not have a BMS-Can port, but 2x VE-CAN ports instead.

So the noob question is, without the BMS-Can port, how can the new Cerbo GX MK2 communicate with the Seplos? I have seen a VE.Can to CAN-bus BMS cable (types A and B) on the Victron site but not if either is A or B are the answer.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Zenoco,

Either of the two VE.Can interfaces can be configured to be BMS-Can ports inside the VenusOS interface.

They are more flexible.

The type a or type b cable refers to a wiring configuration and depends on the battery manufacturers. If they claim to support Victron then this is one of the bits of information to look for.

Some batteries support both types of cable.

78001-can-bs-profile-menu.jpeg

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

zenoco avatar image zenoco commented ·

Hello Guy. I didn't realise the ports were configurable, but permanently set to VE.Can. Is there a manual for the Mk2 for download? Thanks. Sean

0 Likes 0 ·

As far as I know, documentation has not been updated yet.

The section that kind of covers the situation is here, but I agree it could be improved now given the new model.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/connecting-victron-products.html#UUID-86f0c9ce-19b8-9f83-6745-de4b950fc268

1 Like 1 ·
zenoco avatar image zenoco Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi. I'm getting conflicting advice from others about this question. Some say the "CAN-bus BMS" as a profile option is not the same as "BMS CAN" in the Mk1. I'm confused and hope you can help.

0 Likes 0 ·
thebelcherman avatar image
thebelcherman answered ·

Was in the same boat, new MK2 and a manual for a MK1. Not fun, but I got it working.

1 comment
2 |3000

zenoco avatar image zenoco commented ·
So by changing the setting Guy suggests you’re connected to the Seplos?
0 Likes 0 ·