question

sam-mani avatar image
sam-mani asked

PV power distribution based on a threshold

I would like to invert up to 1500W of PV power to help feed domestic load and use any PV surplus (if any) to charge the battery.

Examples:

1000W PV, load > 1000W : invert all

2000W PV, load > 1500W : invert 1500W & send 500W to battery

2000W PV, load = 1000W : invert 1000W & send 1000W to battery

Said differently : load has priority up to 1500W.

Is there a Victron equipement(s)/setup that can achieve this ?

batteryinverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Sam Mani

All of them will need some kind of programming to achieve this, but in short yes.

The multi rs is the easiest to set up. Is an all on one programmed over bluetooth.

More serious systems and control use the ESS assistant and a multiplus or quattro with a GX and mppts.

That being said if you are a programmer the multi rs can also be manipulated as well.

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sam-mani avatar image sam-mani commented ·

Thank you Alexandra. I am a professional programmer (20 years experience).

I looked at the manual for Multi RS Solar, but I'm not sure how I would achieve conditional PV power distribution. Section 4.8. says it can be programmed with VE.Direct (no further details), section 4.12. "Programming with VictronConnect" mentions no control based on power, except for ignoring AC input when loads are low (4.12.5). ESS controls (4.12.7) caters to the battery (keep charged, sustain, ..).

How would you go about programming the Multi RS Solar for my declared purpose ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ sam-mani commented ·

There are quite a few settings for the balance.

You can control the battery charge amps in the system.

Battery discharge level as well.

In Victron systems DVCC is how that is often done. Varying that figure changes where the solar goes. And ofcourse you can smart switch loads on and off as well.

The GX is how it is done look up venus OS large and Node Red. Root access to the GX allows custom scripts.

Alot of guys use modbus as well and home assistant integrations. The modification section on the forum and git hub is loaded with ideas and experiments.

0 Likes 0 ·
sam-mani avatar image sam-mani Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Ok, I now understand what you mean by "programming".

When it comes to that, I would rather use a Unix like OS (Venus OS), there I'm right at home.

Indeed, if scripting, although DVCC sets a hard limit for DC current, if that limit can be programmatically updated based on inverter output load, PV power can be regulated (to any criteria, actually). DC load, if present, can be accounted for by means of a Victron shunt (add to inverter load).

I'm not sure how familiar with the Victron solutions you are, but to your knowledge this really can only be achieved via programming ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ sam-mani commented ·
I have not tried it dynamically. Again refer to the other sources for something that might fit r be adapted to your ideas.

I have a fairly simple working knowledge (can load drivers and a few basics) but node red is where i am comfortable and regularly use that.

0 Likes 0 ·
sam-mani avatar image sam-mani Alexandra ♦ commented ·

I'm the one you'd call for help with drivers and systems :)

No, I meant : is programming necessary, are you sure it cannot be done through normal configuration ?

Anyway, thanks a lot Alexandra, your answers are very helpful.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic