question

ako avatar image
ako asked

Connecting a Multiplus 24/5000/120

When connecting a large Multiplus is there the normal arc or has the Multiplus got an inbuilt arrestor or some other means to avoid the problem , if not then is a 350 Amp/Hr isolator switch going to deal with the issue .. Just concerned that the sudden rush of power might damage new LiFePO4 batteries as it will be their first time in use .

inverter current draw
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Duivert NL avatar image
Duivert NL answered ·

Hi its best to put a switch and a fuse in between that match your system, just connecting the batteries without is not a correct way of wiring

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ako avatar image ako commented ·
Thank you but as i mentioned on my post there will be a 350 Amp Hour isolation switch , there will also be a fuse to protect the cables . The Switch and Fuse will be close to the Batteries and before the Bus Bar . Neither the Switch or Fuse will stop the sudden rush of current and would it damage the batteries .
0 Likes 0 ·
Duivert NL avatar image Duivert NL ako commented ·
No it wont damage the batteries
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ Duivert NL commented ·
You can add a precharge circuit in. Just google it.
-1 Like -1 ·
ako avatar image ako Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Thank You Alexandra , i have looked up Pre Charging and makes sense , this is the first i have heard of pre charging and im sure most average off grid user with Inverters under 2kw have been doing the same as me for years , just assuming the bang and spark to be expected and a natural harmless reaction when connecting to small Lead Acid batteries without suffering any other issues .
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ ako commented ·

The bigger the system, the bigger the bank of capacitors. BMS's really don't take kindly to seeing a dead short across their terminals so tend to just block the battery.

A shortcut to precharging is using an mppt and solar to initially provide power before starting the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
ako avatar image ako nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

How would one go about precharging is using an mppt and solar to initially provide power before starting the battery as i thought batteries have to be connected prior to the Panels into the MPPT .

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ ako commented ·
Some batteries have a precharge aboard. And a Start button.. voila..
0 Likes 0 ·
Duivert NL avatar image Duivert NL Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Yes your right alexandra, thats also an option!
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic