question

Eric avatar image
Eric asked

Orion Smart 12/24 15A Isolated fluctuating voltage

I have a Orion Smart 12/24 15A isolated installed in a 2015 Sprinter with a 200A alternator. The Orion is intended to charge a 24v LiFePo4 battery bank. Battery bank is a EVE 560aH battery with a DALY BMS that charges fine from shore power using a Multiplus 24/120 - 70. The Orion connection is direct to the 12v starter battery. The system also includes a smart shunt that displays all the in/output to the system.

My issue is the Orion when set to CHARGE mode. On starting the vehicle, the Shunt reads 13-14 Amps in bulk feeding the system. Every minute or two the supply voltage to the Orion in the Victron Connect app drops to 11v and shuts off, stays off for a couple minutes then starts up again with 5A, shuts off, then turns on again and continuously repeats. I tweaked settings every imaginable way to include changing between alternator types with no success stabilizing a charge. This makes me think there is a wiring fault somewhere.

As a test I changed the Orion to the Power Supply setting. This works fine and feeds the full capacity (13-14A) consistently and at a reasonable voltage according to the Smart Shunt. This makes me believe that the wiring is actually fine and that the issue is with the CHARGE program profile in the Orion. I would leave the Orion set to Power Supply, but I would likely forget to shut it off and drain the starter battery since there is no engine off detection in this mode.

Before I do further investigating I thought I would post here to see if anyone had any ideas that I might not be thinking of.

orion smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic