question

copprhead avatar image
copprhead asked

Smart BatteryProtect and windlass?

I'm planning on installing a Smart BatteryProtect 100A on my boat. Loads are lights, fridge, instruments and also the anchor windlass (500W). The manual warns to avoid back currents from inverters. I'm wondering if the windlass might also produce a harmful back current. If so, I probably won't be able to connect it with the other loads to the OUT terminal (but directly to the battery). Any experiences or recommendations?

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
pwfarnell avatar image
pwfarnell answered ·

Is this 12V or 24V so either 50A or 25A for the windlass. Will the windlass have a high start up current because if it does then the BP may shut off. I am not sure about back emf being an issue.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

copprhead avatar image copprhead commented ·
It's 12V. I see 40ish Amps on the BMV when it is running. Start up current shouldn't be above the SBP's rated peak current (30s) of 600A. Only issue I could imagine would be back current.
0 Likes 0 ·