question

ejm avatar image
ejm asked

Charging below freezing

I have this battery (PHI-3.8-48-60 Simpliphi PHI 3.8 kWh LFP Battery, 48V) and they have breakers on the battery itself. My question is when I go in the winter you can’t charge these batteries when it is below freezing. If the breakers are off, will it not charge and I could run my cabin with the generator till it goes above temperature and then I could flip the breakers back on to charge them up when the batteries get above freezing. I have a Victron Quattro with power coming from the panels and a generator. I would think if the battery breaker is off it would not allow power in or out.

Thanks,

EJ

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@ejm

There is a built in mechanism for this scenario.

You could let the system self manage.

Program it to not charge below a certain temperature (in the lithium profile it is set as default to 5°C) install the temperature sensor and then monitor.

The inverter should be in the off position, dont have it on with the battery off, it is really bad for it. So if you really want to run on generator until things warm up, then have a inverter system bypass in place for when you do.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.