question

sprintershawn avatar image
sprintershawn asked

MPPT No Current Output w/CCGX

Need some help with CCGX/BVM-712 setup settings...energized new system this weekend and can't reach dealer for support till Tuesday.

MPPT 100/30 SMART connected to CCGX via VeDirect Cable with BMV 712 into CCGX VeDirect port 2 and Bluetooth network for all Smart devices.

MPPT Connect App and CCGX Display (as well as electrical meter) are showing proper voltage but zero current output even under heavy inverter load and battery drain.

CCGX Menu for SmartSolar Charger MPPT 100/30 shows "State" status as "Off"

What bonehead setting am I missing in the CCGX or 712 to get the MPPT to output current? Everything else seems to be humming right along and functioning properly. All firmware is up to date.

MPPT ControllersCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Shawn. The 'Off' state is typical of a unit awaiting some V on it's panel input terminals to allow it to start up. Like overnight. If it were showing 'ESS' or 'External Control' instead, then you could look to the GX to see why, but I doubt that, especially if you have a simple system.

I can't really speak for the bluetooth system, but you could 'denetwork' it to see if that makes any difference.

I'd likely head straight to the panel input V first, and see what that is. It must be >5V more than Vbat to enter Bulk. Should be checkable via bluetooth, GX or even multimeter.

Try that first and come back..

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

sprintershawn avatar image sprintershawn commented ·

Missed that data point of the +5v to trigger.

PV input voltage is 26.64

Battery Voltage is 27

System is 3 panels each 150w/24v wired parallel

Battery is Victron 25.6v 200AH LifEpo4 w/28.4v absorption

Does that mean I have to wire the three panels in series to up the voltage for the system to trigger properly?

0 Likes 0 ·
sprintershawn avatar image sprintershawn sprintershawn commented ·

....and sure enough, that was my fatal system deign flaw. Not a control issue. Swapped to series, upped the voltage, and all is happy in the world of solar controller. Thanks for the input and where to look.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ sprintershawn commented ·

Good work, well I think?

You mention your panels are '24V' types, but maybe they're not?? That's oldish terminology, but would suggest >40 Voc rating. You must never exceed string Voc of 100, or 'fatal' will take on it's real meaning - to the mppt.

Voc may be approached when your batts are near fully charged, and will be even higher in cold weather.

Just so you know.. Take care.

0 Likes 0 ·
sprintershawn avatar image sprintershawn JohnC ♦ commented ·

Had to double check, but panels are nominal voltage of 25.5v and Voc of 30.1 so would be just under the max in series.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ sprintershawn commented ·

But 'winter is coming' and then the Voc will rise, maybe over 100V.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ sprintershawn commented ·

In a 24V system, and a 100V maximum MPPT, only 144 cells MAXIMUM. This is specified in the manual.

That is 2 x 20/24V panels.

3 panel strings are for the 150V MPPT’s.

0 Likes 0 ·
sprintershawn avatar image sprintershawn JohnC ♦ commented ·

Well crud...ok Solor gurus, How much efficiently would I loose (or can I even) series two of the panels and parallel in the third? Is paralleling that voltage difference counterproductive?

0 Likes 0 ·
solaradvanced avatar image
solaradvanced answered ·

Hi Shawn

Have you check the remote connection.

2 |3000