question

spinner avatar image
spinner asked

When grid fails multiplus does not switch to battery

Hello victron disquss members, Our system consists of Multiplus 48/3000/35, Colour CCGX, LG10 Resu battery. The problem is when the national grid fails the multi is not switching over to the battery even though it is showing 100% charge. If anyone has any ideas as to why this is happening it would be great to hear them. Many thanks Spinner.

Multiplus-II
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

@spinner Far too little information to work with e.g. is it set up as ESS? Do you have loads connected to AC-OUT1? Has the multi been configured as UPS system? ESS mode? (batteries optimized or keep batteries charged) etc.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

spinner avatar image
spinner answered ·

Hello ejrossouw, Sorry about the lack of info I`m new to this game. Yes it is set up as ESS (batteries optimised with battery life). Forgive me but I don`t understand the term UPS. As to what loads are connected to AC-OUT1. How would I find that out. Many thanks for your help so far. Regards Spinner.

1 comment
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

Hello @spinner. No problem. Firstly, ensure the on/off switch is on inverter and not charger only. On your MP system, the very left bottom cable set is AC-IN. Next to it AC-out and if you have a connection there, it would be where power will be in backup mode (UPS = uninterrupted power supply. Those are two obvious things for me to check. I imagine you you have an ET112 or grid monitor to ensure the MP can sense when power failed? Finally, what is the maximum DOD setting set to? Mine is 10% as the system is configured for self consumption.

Hope this helps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Rob Fijn avatar image
Rob Fijn answered ·

If the switch was on the ON position (on the Multi), then there must be some error in the LOG.
You can find this in the Colour CCGX.

Curious to hear.

Rob

2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

I would recommend you to contact a local dealer/installer to have a look at your setup.

2 |3000

spinner avatar image
spinner answered ·

Hello ejrossouw, Thanks for your reply. Re the on/off switch it is definitely "on". I have included photos of the cable inputs in an effort to clarify matters. Yes there is an ET112 fitted (see photo). If the DOD setting is the same as SOC then that value is 30%. Again many thanks for your continued support. Regards Spinner.

100-0306.jpg (422.1 KiB)
100-0311.jpg (403.4 KiB)
100-0300.jpg (478.7 KiB)
100-0307.jpg (453.2 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw commented ·

@spinner Thank you for the info. Just for my understanding. You don't have solar panels and a MPPT? Is the system only for backup in case of power failure then use sustain and NOT optimise with or without battery life. Then simulate a failure and see if that works.

0 Likes 0 ·
spinner avatar image spinner ejrossouw commented ·

Hello ejrossouw, Thanks for your reply.We do have a solar panel array. It consists of 12 x 330 watt BenQ panels giving a possible production of 3960 watts also a 3500SE Solar Edge inverter fixed to the array frame. Hope this helps.

Regards Spinner

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Spinner

Is your system online? if so what is the VRM identifier / name?

2 |3000

spinner avatar image
spinner answered ·

Hello Daniel, Thanks for your interest. Yes we are online and do have access to the VRM portal. Our identifier/name is perry. Thanks Spinner.

2 |3000

spinner avatar image
spinner answered ·

Hello ejrossouw, Thanks for your reply.We do have a solar panel array. It consists of 12 x 330 watt BenQ panels giving a possible production of 3960 watts also a 3500SE Solar Edge inverter fixed to the array frame. Hope this helps. Regards Spinner

2 |3000

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Spinner

I see the inverter did power the loads when grid failed, but it overcharged the battery, so the battery disconnected.

You are running on very old firmware, please update this.

But the main problem: you don't have an assistant setup for the PV inverter on the output, so the system doesn't do frequency shift (and so the PV inverter doesn't throttle down).

If you update your ESS assistant and check 'has PV on output' (and please also upgrade the Multi's firmware), things should work as expected.

2 |3000

spinner avatar image
spinner answered ·

Hello Daniel, Thanks for your comments. I must confess to being a bit puzzled. Firstly according to the menu on my CCGX it is set to automatic updates. The firmware currently running is V2.33 (20190714220338) which the program tells me is the latest version.

However when you refer to the main problem being not having an assistant set up for a PV inverter on the output I am totally confused. If you would be kind enough to point out where I could find such an assistant and then how to correctly configure it. I would be very grateful. Kind regards Spinner.

1 comment
2 |3000

Hi @Spinner

It's the Multiplus that needs to be setup correctly.

I think it's best to let your installer take care of correct setup of the system. Upgrading firmware and setting up such a system is a job for installers / experienced users.

About upgrading firmware:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/updating_firmware:updating_ve.bus_products

about setting up the sytem:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:lg_chem_resu

0 Likes 0 ·