question

gerdverreycken avatar image
gerdverreycken asked

Continuously modulating mppt charge current OK for eventually EEPROM memory?

Hi,

My batterybank prefers 40A charging current to maximise the cells life span.

My MPPT can put out 100A.

The remaining 60A could be used to compensate for active changing DC loads. The battery's have smart shunt connected to measure the current.

Therefoàre I am thinking about modulating the maximum charge current from Node-Red or search for a solution in the Gerbo environment.

I am worried however that the parameter is stored in EEPROM and that type of memory has limited write-cycles.

Anyone know the internals of a 150/100 MPPT? Are my worries valid?

MPPT ControllersNode-RED
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

I don’t believe that parameter is remotely configurable. You’d need a GX where it can be limited by DVCC.

Charge limits also prevent the MPPT from supplying loads.

The best way is to control this via a BMS, assuming you have a managed battery which is configurable.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

gerdverreycken avatar image gerdverreycken commented ·
I wonder what is wrong with the MPPT supplying loads when a battery is buffering the voltage?
0 Likes 0 ·
gerdverreycken answered ·

I find this on the VenusOS DBUS data for solar chargers so it must be possible over mqtt.

/Settings/ChargeCurrentLimit <- The maximum configured (non-volatile) charge current. This is the same as set by VictronConnect.
1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Then you can set it, but it limits all output, not just charging.

It’s /settings/chargecurrentlimit as stated above.

0 Likes 0 ·
gerdverreycken answered ·

I also found this that seems to be in volatile memory:

/Link/ChargeCurrent  <- Maximum charge current. Must be written every 60 seconds. Used by GX device if there is a BMS or user limit.
2 |3000