question

cc5084 avatar image
cc5084 asked

Auxiliary connection for monitoring the voltage of a second battery

As the title suggests, I am referring the the capabilities of the BMV-712 and just want to clarify what the manual is describing. When it says it is able to monitor the voltage of a second battery, does this mean that it is monitoring both the auxiliary bank I am primarily hooked up to, as well as the "starter" battery that is the "secondary?"

Is this the standard setup whenever connecting a bmv-712 to a vehicle with an alternator, the OEM batteries, and an auxiliary battery bank? If so that is easy enough to set up I just want to be clear on the pros/cons of making my connections this way.

battery chargingBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
theo74 avatar image
theo74 answered ·

The BMV-712 indeed has an auxiliary input for both monitoring an extra voltage OR temperature. It's not that you must connect the auxiliary to the starter battery, it's an often used option, and for some people quite handy. Although the monitoring is limited to the voltage level only, no capacity.

Others use the BMV temperature sensor on the auxiliary input, to monitor the second/house hold battery, or the negative busbar. If your charger is not already doing this with it's own "temperature regualted charging" temperature sensor.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.