question

seabbatical avatar image
seabbatical asked

"0%" SOC Displaying on remote system that should be charged

The boat is 2000 miles away and the caretaker sent me a photo of the ColorControl GX monitor.

After a month on only solar charging, in the tropics, with adequate sun, the color control GX battery icon is solid green and shows 0%. The voltage indicated on the battery icon is 13.0V and the amps are -4A. The PV icon shows 182W from the Victron-monitored array. It is reasonable to assume the other array (see below) is producing about the same.

Hardware: 2 solar arrays, each about 200W. One is controlled by a non-Victron MPPT (Blue Sky) and the other by Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150-70. SOC is monitored with BMV700 and Color Control GX.

How do I interpret that "0%" battery SOC? It seems unlikely that with plenty of sun and essentially no load the battery is not charging. Is it likely that the BMV700 has failed to synchronize every day for a month?

Further, I think the color of the battery icon contradicts the 0% SOC. Doesn't the color of the battery icon usually change from all green to white-over-green in proportion as the battery discharges?

Ideally, I'd have an early morning, before-solar-charging-starts, battery voltage reading to infer the SOC, but it is hard to persuade the caretaker to look at the boat in the morning twilight hours. Can anyone deduce the SOC from the above information?

battery chargingBMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

I suspect the batteries are not getting fully charged to the SOC reset point in the BMV

no the colour on the display does not change (as far as I remember

what type of batteries hav you and has the BMV been setup of catter for these.

ie Pheuket setting

fully charged setting

battery bank size

etc etc

just run off the battery voltage until you get back

keep them in the range os 12.2 to 12.7 these readings after 1hr of no charge or discharge

12.2 is 50% SOC and 12.7 is 100 SOC

ruff but should work until you get back there

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

this is for most lead acid types of batteries that is

0 Likes 0 ·
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Agree with Paul.

The problem is that error in the charge counting accumulates over time, and if the charging doesn't trigger the sync condition, the error just keeps accumulating until you get to weird situations like your 0% SOC.

When you get back to the boat, make sure that your systems' trigger points are lined up so that your BMV gets sync (more) periodically.

2 |3000

Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Something else to consider, check under CCGX settings>system setup that the BMV is selected as your battery monitor.

2 |3000