question

mwu avatar image
mwu asked

Cerbo Gx relay contact defective, welded, no longer opens

@Daniël Boekel

@VICTRON: Please include a corresponding footnote in the data sheets on the maximum data of the relays with a reference to contact protection measures for capacitive and inductive loads.

Cerbo Gx relay contact defect fried welded doesn't open anymore

Cerbo Gx relay contact defective, welded, no longer opens

I used one of the relays to switch on a DC 48V / DC 12V converter. During operation a current of 0.5 A at 48 V flows across the relay contact. After a few on/off switches, the relay no longer switches off, although the typical click can still be heard.

Switching DC loads at more than 30 V with a relay is problematic. The manufacturer's instructions for switching higher DC voltages and/or other than resistive loads, e.g. coils of additional relays, transformers or motors, often contain instructions that measures must be taken to extinguish arcs. (Keyword: Snubber Circuit; RC series connection parallel to the contact, diode in reverse direction parallel to the coil)

Arcs on contacts also occur when switching on. A too high current causes the contacts to heat up for a very short time, causing them to weld. It is also said that the relay sticks, it does not (never) open the contact again. This problem occurs when switching capacitive loads (capacitors). Depending on the wiring structure, the current may exceed the maximum allowable values for the relay

In the case described here, the problem is the inrush current, which is caused by large capacitors (1000uF) at the input of the DC/DC converter. The relay is now defective and needs to be replaced. I could have known? No and yes!

NO:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start#comparison_table

Programmable relay / 2 x NO/NC / DC up to 30VDC: 6A / DC up to 70VDC: 1A / AC: 6A, 125VAC

YES:

Thread to Victron Community: Cerbo Gx relay outputs

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented • Jun 07 2020 at 2:11 PM

it's a signal relay, I wouldn't put more than 1A through it.

Max voltage AC: 230V (AC rating tbd, will update later)

Max voltage DC: 30V, for low current (below 1A) you can go to 48VDC also

Relay data sheets always state that these maximum values only apply to resistive loads (resistors).

My conclusion and recommendation: ONLY use the built-in relay to control subsequent relays or electronic switches and pay attention to the necessary protective measures for the contacts. (Snubber or diode) Do not switch capacitive loads!

If you have experience with unsoldering components from electronic circuits, the relay can be replaced.

At Reichelt Elektronik, the Hongfa HF41F 005-ZS installed in my Cerbo GX (information on the relay: 6A, 250V AC; 6A 30V DC coil resistance 147 Ohm) is sold out. Zettler AZ6991-1CE-5DE and FTR LYCA 005V are suitable replacements. Both have the same coil resistance, the same design and even have better contacts made of AgSnO2.

@Daniël Boekel

@VICTRON:Bitte nehmen Sie zu den Datenblättern eine entsprechende Fußnote zu den Maximaldaten der Relais mit dem Hinweis auf Kontaktschutzmaßnahmen bei kapazitiven und induktiven Lasten.

Deutsche Version:

Cerbo Gx relay contact defect fried welded doesn't open anymore

Cerbo Gx Relaiskontakt defekt, verschweißt, öffnet nicht mehr

Ich habe eines der Relais benutzt um einen DC 48V / DC 12 V Wandler einzuschalten. Im Betrieb fließt ein Strom von 0,5 A bei 48 V über den Relais Kontakt. Nach einigen Ein/Aus Schaltungen schaltet das Relais nicht mehr aus, obwohl noch das typische Klicken zu hören ist.

DC Lasten bei mehr als 30 V mit einem Relais zu schalten ist problematisch. Die Herstellerangaben zum Schalten höherer DC Spannungen und/oder anderer als Widerstandslasten, also z.B. Spulen von weiteren Relais, Transformatoren oder Motoren, beinhalten oft Hinweise, dass Maßnahmen zur Funkenlöschung zu ergreifen sind. (Stichwort: Snubber Circuit; RC Reihenschaltung parallel zum Kontakt, Diode in Sperrrichtung parallel zur Spule)

Funken am Kontakt treten auch beim Einschalten auf. Ein zu hoher Strom führt zu einer sehr kurzen Erhitzung der Kontakte, so dass sie verschweißen. Man sagt auch das Relais klebt, es öffnet den Kontakt nicht (nie) mehr. Dieses Problem tritt beim Schalten kapazitiver Lasten auf (Kondensatoren). Je nach Aufbau der Verdrahtung kann der Strom die maximal zulässigen Werte für das Relais überschreiten

Im hier beschrieben Fall ist das Problem der Einschaltstrom, der durch große Kondensatoren (1000uF) am Eingang des DC/DC Wandlers entsteht. Das Relais ist nun defekt und muss getauscht werden. Ich hätte es wissen können? Nein und Ja!

Nein:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start#comparison_table

Programmable relay / 2 x NO/NC / DC up to 30VDC: 6A / DC up to 70VDC: 1A / AC: 6A, 125VAC

Ja:

Thread an Victron Community: Cerbo Gx relay outputs

Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ kommentiert · Jun 07 2020 um 2:11 PM

it's a signal relay, I would not put more than 1A through it.

Max voltage AC: 230V (AC rating tbd, will update later)

Max voltage DC: 30V, for low current (below 1A) you can go to 48VDC also

In Datenblättern zu Relais steht immer der Hinweis, dass diese Maximalwerte nur für Ohmsche Lasten (Widerstände) zutreffen.

Meine Schlussfolgerung und Empfehlung: Nutze das Eingebaute Relais NUR zum Ansteuern nachfolgender Relais oder elektronischer Schalter und beachte die notwendigen Schutzmaßnahmen der Kontakte. (Snubber oder Diode) Schalte keine kapazitive Lasten!

Wenn man mit dem Auslöten von Bauteilen aus elektronischen Schaltungen Erfahrung hat, kann das Relais getauscht werden.

Bei Reichelt Elektronik ist das in meinem Cerbo GX eingebaute Hongfa HF41F 005-ZS (Angaben auf dem Relais: 6A, 250V AC; 6A 30V DC Spulenwiderstand 147 Ohm) ausverkauft. Als Ersatz eignen sich z.B. Zettler AZ6991-1CE-5DE und FTR LYCA 005V. Beide haben den gleichen Spulenwiderstand, die gleiche Bauform und haben sogar bessere Kontakte aus AgSnO2.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mwu avatar image
mwu answered ·

Hello everyone,

in my previous post I recommended not switching capacitive loads because this would overload the contacts of the small relays in the Cerbo GX. A capacitor has a resistance of close to 0 ohms when switched on and therefore causes a high current peak that overwhelms the contacts of the relay, which is why they weld together after a few switching operations.

The solution:

If the switched load allows it, you can connect a series resistor in the supply line to the load. This is possible with the DC/DC converter used. I used a 12 ohm resistor. This limits the inrush current to I = 48V / 12 Ohm = 4 A. In my case, during operation, I have P = I².R = 0.25 A² 12 Ohm = 3 watts loss at the resistor. That doesn't bother me because the converter is only switched on when the sun is providing a lot of energy.

Best regards, Manfred

Hallo zusammen,

in meinem vorherigen Beitrag hatte ich empfohlen keine kapazitiven Lasten zu schalten, weil das die Kontakte der kleinen Relais im Cerbo GX überlasted. Ein Kondensator hat im Einschaltmoment einen Widerstand von nahe 0 Ohm und verursacht daher eine hohe Stromspitze, die die Kontakte des Relais überfordert, weshalb sie nach wenigen Schaltungen verschweißen.

Die Lösung:

Wenn die geschaltete Last es zulässt, kann man einen Serienwiderstand in die Zuleitung zur Last schalten. Bei dem verwendeten DC/DC Wandler ist das möglich. Ich habe einen 12 Ohm Widerstand genommen. Dadurch ist der Einschaltstrom auf I = 48V / 12 Ohm = 4 A begrenzt. Im Betrieb habe ich in meinem Fall P = I².R = 0,25 A² 12 Ohm = 3 Watt Verlust an dem Widerstand. Das stört mich nicht, weil der Wandler nur eingeschaltet ist, wenn die Sonnen kräftig Energie liefert.

Best Grüße

Manfred

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mwu avatar image
mwu answered ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

Hello Guy,

can you please point out possible problems with the relays to the responsible technicians at Victron?

Maybe they'll read my two posts above?

I suggest that information about the switching capacity of the relays be included in the data sheets. In particular, that the data only refers to resistance loads.

Best regards, Manfred.

2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

The relays are more designed to signal something else not directly run a load.

So coil voltage and latching amps is what the tech data refers to.

I haven't had a problem and usually switch contactors for loads. Do that instead. Probably need a blocking diode as well for dc loads from the arc etc

There are a tonne of threads on the forum about good set up.

1 comment
2 |3000

mwu avatar image mwu commented ·

Hello Alexandra!

Thank you for confirming my statements.

0.5 amps is child's play for a relay like this.

Blocking diodes are for inductive loads, but that's all in the text above.

Best regards

Manfred

Diploma - Engineer Electrical Engineering

0 Likes 0 ·