question

tf1 avatar image
tf1 asked

Lynx Distributor and solar appliance

This is likely a silly question, but I'll ask it anyways....I will be running a 12V DC 13 cu feet fridge that will require 6 or 8 awg (long run). I don't believe that size will fit in my DC distribution panel, so I was thinking of attaching it directly to the Lynx. The fridge already has a 15 amp fuse built in so I was thinking of putting the smallest mega fuse I could find (I think 80A is the smallest available). Anything wrong with this assumption? Thanks

lynx distributor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
dc-marine avatar image
dc-marine answered ·

Hi. The Lynx fuse is meant to protect your wire, not your load. A 6awg boat cable is only rated up to 120a in the best of condition (105°C insulation, not in an engine room, not bundled or sheathed). Another option is to run out a lead to a separate fuse holder from the lynx that would be rated at 15a, just as an inline fuse holder. Not the prettiest but it would be electrically proper.

Edit: changed 6awg rating from 72a to 120a as per wrong chart being used in original post.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
What 6AWG are you looking at? Every 6AWG marine wire I'm familiar with, such as Ancor or Vertex, is rated for 120A outside of an engine space non-bundled non-sheathed.
0 Likes 0 ·
dc-marine avatar image dc-marine Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·
Hi, you are right I had the wrong table on my phone, didn’t noticed I was one page down. 120a is correct, not 72. I will correct the post.
0 Likes 0 ·
tf1 avatar image
tf1 answered ·

Thanks - that makes sense and appreciate the response. I may look at a different DC distribution panel that can handle higher gauge wire.

2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·
2 |3000