question

dcmoore01292006 avatar image
dcmoore01292006 asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 resets when A/C is turned on powered by Generator operation.

Multiplus will not stay on when being powered by generator when Air Conditioner is turn on.

1. Multiplus will charge batteries when powered by Generator or shore power.

2. Multiplus will run Air Conditioner on Battery power or shore power.

3. Multiplus powers off when I turn on the Air Conditioner on powered by Generator power.

4. Generator runs fine and provides the Multiplus with 124 volts and what ever amps is required to charge the batteries. I have the Multi plus set to charge at 80 amps and the generator has no problem providing this. The Multiplus provides power to everything fine except the Air Conditioner. Any Ideas?

Generatorvictronaircondition
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

check the power assist setting for the multiplus. and decrease this to say 10 amps and or lower

try reducing the charge amps as a test and see at what point its all ok (a maybe)

I suspect that when the aircon comes on the generator is being de syned (disconnected)Ie the AC link drops, due to the AC surge and the generator voltage drops off to quickly. use the power assist to help limit the surge

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

@dcmoore01292006

In the Multi, try enabling 'Dynamic Current Limiter'. This will soften the instant increase in demand on the genset and give it time to react.

2 |3000

dcmoore01292006 avatar image
dcmoore01292006 answered ·

Follow up this morning.

Note: I have always operated my Victron power setting on Charge Only while I am on Shore power or Generator power.

1. Set Power assist from 30 to 22.5 and enabled Dynamic Current Limiter.

2. Ran Generator for 30 minutes under load about 14 amps with convection oven on, and another 30 minutes with electric hot water heater on. Everything Normal no problems.

3. Continued with Generator power and applied Air Conditioner and it trips the Multiplus with generator power. Note: The Air Conditioner will operate normal while on Shore power or battery power.

4. With the Victron Power setting to ON and not Charge Only and on Generator power the Air Conditioner operates normally. Its only while its on Charge Only that the Generator can not power the Air Conditioner. Please note that I have always used Charge Only during Shore and Generator power settings incase of power failure so the battery bank does not get depleted.

Any other suggestions, Thanks.

1 comment
2 |3000

JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ commented ·
@dcmoore01292006

With Charge Only set you lose all the benefits of Power Assist and Dynamic Current Limiter - no load surge protection from the Multi. Best leave it ON, and deal with your 'failure' concerns some other way.

0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

It just sounds like the startup current for the AC is causing the generator voltage to dip low enough that the multi disconnects. Whereas in the On position the MP is assisting, so acting like a soft-start for the aircon.

Try measuring the voltage output from the generator when switching the aircon on and see what it dips down to.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

MultiPlus Generator FAQ

GX - Generator auto start/stop

Automatic Generator start/stop

Hybrid Generators

Virtual switch - Generator start/stop

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic