question

jonatanjensen avatar image
jonatanjensen asked

AC out Voltage jumping while inverting in offgrid setup which is powering a house.

Quattro 10000, Fronius primo 8.2-1, 3 Mppt's 250/100, BYD LVL 600Ah

System is set up to 240V but output jumps between 230 to 250. Found it because lights started flickering more and more.

It's like related with tv and pc but not always happening only couple of times in a day.

screenshot1.png

It has been working fine since 2020.

Made firmware updates but still the same output.

screenshot-2024-03-31-104420.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervoltageacoutac out
10 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·
Is the inverter throttling the fronius at all?

What assistant do you have to control the fronius?

0 Likes 0 ·
jonatanjensen avatar image jonatanjensen Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Production limiting with frequency works just fine with fronius.

screenshot-2024-03-31-204206.png screenshot-2024-03-31-204355.png

0 Likes 0 ·
Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

whats the DC voltage doing at the same time as the AC voltage goes Hi

maybe the a cell is going hi or LOW and the battery BMS is going open circuit and thus you may get a AC voltage spike before the hz increases.

if you turn the Fronius primo OFF does it still happen (ie does it happen during daylight hrs only ????

is something else coming online or disconnecting ie the generator

these are just some areas to look at.

0 Likes 0 ·
jonatanjensen avatar image jonatanjensen Paul B commented ·

DC voltage is stable like no cell difference at all. I tried it with Fronius off as well but still unstable Victron Out voltage.

screenshot-2024-04-01-170812.png

0 Likes 0 ·
jonatanjensen avatar image jonatanjensen commented ·

Any advice?

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ jonatanjensen commented ·

@Jonatanjensen

You seem to be genuinely offgrid, Generator tile too. Yet you're using ESS when it's manual states..

1713081955348.png

There's an alternative Assistant for offgridders.. https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:pv-inverter-support

This should actually work better than ESS in your application. Have you tried it?

0 Likes 0 ·
1713081955348.png (25.2 KiB)
jonatanjensen avatar image jonatanjensen JohnC ♦ commented ·

After change ess to pv assistant it's a little bit better but still not good enough.

0 Likes 0 ·

@Jonatanjensen

Ok, good move. Different time of day, and all charging values. To me, that means the variation is possibly coming from the pv inverter, the Quattro isn't inverting nor throttling the pv with Hz. Might be interacting a little with loads if you have say a switching load applied. Or the Quattro has some issue with it's charging.

Maybe just watch it for a while and try to determine the root source. The pv inverter is the one determining that V though, and my prime suspect.

1 Like 1 ·
jonatanjensen avatar image jonatanjensen JohnC ♦ commented ·
Sometimes flickering stops when i remove PC and/or TV. Both are users with 150-300W range.
0 Likes 0 ·
@Jonatanjensen

Yeh, some of the chinee junk on the market today is really poor kit, chopping the sine wave carelessly. Designed for a buffered grid supply, and we offgridders don't have that. Then the Victron kit needs to measure that chopped sinewave and may struggle to give accurate and stable readings.

I even have a load device that baulks at power from my genset, yet Victron handles it ok. I know not why.

You may need to live with it, but I surely accept that knowing the cause is needed for that peace of mind. Flickering is another level though, I don't see that with 12V lighting.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
jonatanjensen avatar image
jonatanjensen answered ·

It looks like the reason was still the last update from fronius, sometimes it worked fine but it had some disabilities.

Support made a downgrade of the firmware.

Now it's been working three days like a charm, hope that's solved now :)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.