question

andy156 avatar image
andy156 asked

VE Bus system node slow update

Hi, I'm trying to save all the kWh values for various reasons but they seem to only update somewhere between 1 and 2.5 minutes. Is there a reason they don't update and is there some other source that is updated more frequently? I imagine they are updated every few seconds as the VRM and remote display probably use them for their calculations.edit-vebus-system-node.png

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

You have “only changes” selected, so the node will filter its output and only send an update if the value changes.

You can disable it and get a constant stream, but repeatedly sending the same data isn’t very efficient for resource usage.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

andy156 avatar image
andy156 answered ·

Hi Nick, yes I had that deliberately set. However if I don't set it then I obviously get the same value sent every 5 seconds until the value changes in about 1-2 minutes. ie every 5 seconds I get 1kW until it ticks up to 1.1kW in a minutes time and then I get that every 5secs. I should get all the intermediate values ie 1.01,1.02 as I should get 12 unique values every minute if that particular counter is being used (values made up for sake of argument). The actual values only change every 1-2 minutes, so the "only changes" makes no difference to the actual problem I am experiencing. The kWh values must be constantly updated somewhere in the system so that the remote display can be generated every few seconds.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
I am not sure that the GX sends kWh to the second decimal, like many values, they often stop at the first decimal as it is sufficient for most uses.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

@Andy156 OK, I did a test on mine. Change the rounding to 2 or 3 digits. Mine then provided granular data.

4 comments
2 |3000

andy156 avatar image andy156 commented ·
Thanks for looking. That unfortunately doesn't help for me. I also tried the custom input node to access the dbus directly and it exhibits the same behaviour.

I've just checked my processor usage and I'm only using 35-44% cpu so hopefully that isn't the problem.

I'm a few months behind on updates so I'll try going to get latest version when I get time. Its always a bit more involved as I need to fix the filesystem after each update to get my node red projects working.

0 Likes 0 ·
andy156 avatar image andy156 andy156 commented ·
Sorry, just to clarify. If you are saying using the grid, then the relevant AC In kWh value is changing every 5 seconds for you? I am still getting random (long) periods with no update to the all the kWh values.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ andy156 commented ·

I don't have a PV inverter so can't measure AC OUT to inverter, but I tested inverter to AC OUT, they should be similar.

Mine sent a message every 5 seconds with 3 digits. It incremented every 3 or 4 messages, depending on loads. It may be that it is a calculated metric that isn't done in realtime.

The screenshot doesn't show any increments as my loads were low when I ran it again, but it definitely works.

screenshot-2024-04-02-at-154359.png

0 Likes 0 ·
andy156 avatar image andy156 nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Hi Nick, it doesn't make a difference as to which kWh value I am trying to monitor. They all seem to update very infrequently. At least I know its working with yourself so that's a start for me to try and work out what is going on.
0 Likes 0 ·