question

acreinasturias avatar image
acreinasturias asked

How to connect Victron EasySolar-II 48/5000/70-50 GX to house circuit breaker

Hi There,

I have purchased a Victron EasySolar-II 48/5000/70-50 GX for an off-grid home. Is there anyone who can point me to a beginner-friendly information source on connecting the inverter to the home's electrical service panel (breaker box). The solar panel array has already been connected properly to the Victron unit listed above as well as the batteries. That part is finished. I just need the information from the inverter to the house breaker box. Which wire goes where? Issues? What to look out for. etc.

Thanks!

EasySolar All-in-One
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pyrorider avatar image
pyrorider answered ·

Hi, where are you located? (to give the best advice regarding your local guidelines)

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain commented ·
I'm going to guess northern Spain due to the OP's username.
0 Likes 0 ·
acreinasturias avatar image acreinasturias commented ·
Yes. Northern Spain (Asturias)
0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Chamberlain avatar image Craig Chamberlain acreinasturias commented ·
I’m a big Fernando Alonso F1 fan so I recognised the Asturias. ;)
0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image
kevgermany answered ·

This is really out of scope for this community and should be handled by a professional due to risks as well as knowledge of local regulations.

The EasySolar is designed to take loads and service them from AC in and batteries. AC in is used to supplement solar charging.

Connecting it requires an assessment of the existing installation and your intentions of how the system should work. It probably requires significant changes to your existing wiring/breaker box and installation of more components.

Your dealer should be able to help you find a local expert, or carry out the installation for you.

3 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for your reply. I'm not going to do the work. I just want to know what's involved and the process. There is a ton of information (youtube etc) detailing everything about setting up the solar array to the inverters, but I can't find much, if anything, on the hooking up the systems to the electrical service panel.

Gracias!

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ acreinasturias commented ·

Question is, put it before the panel or after.

If it's before, you need a small panel between the mains in and EasySolar. EasySolar plus power assist need to be able to handle the full load.

If after you need to separate loads so that some are on the EasySolar. And the rest on the EasySolar. If the EasySolar doesn't have breakers, then a second panel is needed.

But this is meant as a general comment, not design advice.

0 Likes 0 ·
acreinasturias avatar image acreinasturias kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Thanks again. I'm looking for something a little more detailed (step by step), but appreciate the effort. cheers
0 Likes 0 ·
delf67 avatar image
delf67 answered ·

As you are off grid you simply need to take the live, neutral and earth from the AC out of the Easysolar to your breaker box. Depending of the distance involved and whether the breaker box has a suitably rated main breaker (or just a switch disconnect) you may need a breaker on the cable at the Easysolar end. The cable will need to be rated according to the maximum output of the easysolar and the length needs to be considered with regard to volt drop. Earth leakage protection should be installed according to local regulations, as should an earth rod.

If it's not a stupid question: If you're not doing the work yourself why do you need step by step instructions?

1 comment
2 |3000

Haha. thanks! I know my wording sounded a bit sketchy. Actually I just wanted the step-by-step in order to understand in advance so I could translate everything into Spanish in order to convey my needs to the electrician.

0 Likes 0 ·