question

Metal_snapper avatar image

Isolation transformer earth connection

Hi all,

Just confirming here that when my boat is floating on the water there should be a link from the input PE terminal to J34a.

So, the earth wire from the shore power supply flex is connected to the input PE terminal and I make a small wire up with a female spade connector from this input PE terminal and connect it to J34a?

This transformer is not the auto 115v - 230v switching model

Many thanks

installationIsolation Tranformer
10 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hello, under the normal usage of the transformer there is NO wire from PE input J34A to PE output J34! as this will un-isolate the system, while the reason for the transformer is to isolate.

ONLY when the boat is NOT in the water and a shore connection is used, it can theoretically happen that you work with tools or something directly plugged in the shore power (and not current doesn't flow through the transformer) .

At an electrical fault the RCD on shore would not trip as the hull isn't grounded to the same potential, so the whole hull becomes "live".

Then (and only then) the J34a must be connected to J34 to bridge the transformer. (see picture)

There is no need for us to supply this lead as it might work confusing and the jumper remains "IN".

ground.png (91.5 KiB)

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jwfrary avatar image
Jwfrary answered ·

Hi

Manual shows a green and a black wire.

Black wire installed all the time

Green wire installed when your ashore as otherwise there is no route to earth and your rcd or rcbo wont trip

SoCalSker avatar image
SoCalSker answered ·

Andrew, did you ever find an answer to this? I have been looking everywhere for information on whether or not we are supposed to direct connect this PE to jumper J34A??? Seems odd that Victron doesn't include this wire, and I agree that the manual is not clear on this. Thanks.

AndrewP avatar image
AndrewP answered ·

I have the same issue - the manual is not clear on this. It describes ‘the PE wire coming from the input PE terminal’ but this doesn’t exist. Why would victron expect the user to make up this cable when all the rest are supplied?