question

sobad avatar image
sobad asked

Running two Victron 3600 isolation transformers in series

We currently have a Mastervolt IVET 4.5 iso transformer on our boat, but Mastervolt no longer makes them. We would like to switch to Victron due to great quality build and customer support as well as cost. But the 3600 Isolation Transformer isn't strong enough and the 7000 only works with 220 in/out. Since we want to have AC on the boat, I can't imagine I'm the first one to run into this. Is it possible to run two 3600's in series? It would get us up to 7200 volts and 64 amps at 115v which would be ideal. Fortunately, the original builder of the boat wired her for just about anything you could imagine, so no issues there. I just can't seem to find anything that addresses this.

Isolation Tranformer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

I think you mean run the 3600 transformers in parallel. Not something I can recommend - see https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/1445/isolation-transformer.html

On the other hand, you could have the two 3600 transformers with outputs on separate distribution runs which gets around the parallel issue.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic