question

owen-a avatar image
owen-a asked

2 strings (3x panels) - which MPPT?

Hi all,

I have a hybrid install currently on my bar in my garden which consists of 3x 410w Sharp Monocrystalline panels facing in one direction (as seen by the image). The max I've seen them generate currently (given it's not the peak time in this time of the year) is about 1.01kW.

The max voltage I've seen (PV) is around 105v.

The max current I've seen (PV) is around: 9.52A

So around 1kW rounded.

Here is a photo:

1000039306.jpg

The idea is to have another three panels on the other side of the roof giving me a total of 6. The issue i think is, the sun rises from the left side, and swings around to the right side where the 3 panels are currently. This for me is the most optimum place for these existing panels to generate as much power as I can during the late morning to late afternoon.

I'm quite new to Victron products, however I have currently applied to the DNO for exporting, so my plan is to have a Multiplus 2 3kW inverter that supplies power to the bar instead of my current Chinese inverter.

My question is, if I want two strings like I described, what's the best cost effective MPPT controller? And will I need two? Combined with ultimately the Multiplus 2 for providing power to the house in the future.

I currently have battery storage (2x 100Ah LiFePo4) batteries.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Owen

offgridongrid
1000039306.jpg (2.1 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

This is what the MPPT calculator is designed for:

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

owen-a avatar image owen-a commented ·
So from what I understand, if I buy two of these devices and link them together, combined with a GX for monitoring, and the GX into the Multiplus 2, I'll be sorted?

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-charge-controllers/smartsolar-mppt-ve.can

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ owen-a commented ·

So you don't need big mppt's, the smaller ones the calculator will show you will be fine and they will be vedirect cabled to the GX. The manual has all the info for how to do this. Each mppt with its own string.

The calculator will check for the max voltage at cold temps, which is what must be sized for. I don't have your full specs but I would imagine the calculator will recommend 150/35 or 150/45 chargers.

Those are small arrays so should be straight forward.

The wiring unlimited guide also has good tips.

1 Like 1 ·
owen-a avatar image owen-a nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Perfect. It seems like the voltage/current from the one I linked suits. It can handle more voltage and current than the string so that seems good.

Can the GX tell you how much power is being generated from both strings? Does it also tell you how much power is being exported to the grid?

0 Likes 0 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ owen-a commented ·
Given the different orientation of the sets of panels you do need a second MPPT. Follow @nickdb comments about size.
1 Like 1 ·
owen-a avatar image owen-a kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I thought so. Thank you.
0 Likes 0 ·
duivert avatar image
duivert answered ·

you will need just 1 GX device either Cerbo GX or a Multiplus 2 GX,

in your case you can start with 2 mppt, (follow nickdb's advise) 1 cerbo gx, so you can add a normal multiplus 2 (without gx) later

2 |3000

billym417 avatar image
billym417 answered ·

? Where do I find the “wiring unlimited guide”?

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
Type “victron wiring unlimited “ into your preferred search engine and viola!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron Offgrid page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic