question

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image
Vyacheslav Denysenko asked

Fronius + Fronius Smartmeter energy management, off-grid system

Hello,

I’m wondering if it’s possible to use Quattro/Multiplus together with Fronius inverter + Fronius Smartmeter and avoiding frequency shifting. That concerns off-grid system. For on-grid systems, a combination Multi/Quattro + Fronius inverter is much stable and operating seamlessly, no doubt.

What I noticed, the frequency shifting is not as much effective or responsive as Fronius Smartmeter can manage energy generation.

Brining the Fronius Inverter from a generating status to a zero-feed point is done in less than 5.0 sec for a wide levels of energy production.

I understand, that there are a great number of different conditions to be met, but the question is if at least, theoretically, such a scheme may correctly operate.

Thanks in advance,

Vyacheslav

Fronius
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Vyacheslav Denysenko

No this won't work, please draw a diagram of the system, and where the smart meter would be installed. Then you'll see why.

Frequency shifting works perfectly fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image
Vyacheslav Denysenko answered ·

Hello Daniёl,

The SmartMeter is installed between Fronius inverter and Quattro’s ACOut1. The system also has an Ohmpilot from Fronius for dumping energy to a boiler heater. The problem is, when the batteries are fully charged, the systems shifts to 53Hz and this means no energy production from a PV inverter. So, the system becomes useless. That was actually the main reason to use Fronius inverter for boiler heater during the period of 6 – 7 months of the year. The rest time of the year to employ it for the whole system.

Thanks in advance,

Vyacheslav

3 comments
2 |3000

Hi @Vyacheslav Denysenko

I'd use the ac-out2 output to switch on loads to dump energy, and configure this to switch off below x% SOC (values depend on type/size of batter, etc)

with a smartmeter between fronius and Quattro, how can the Quattro charge if the smartmeter tries to keep feed-in to zero?

0 Likes 0 ·
Vyacheslav Denysenko avatar image Vyacheslav Denysenko Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Daniёl,

You are right, there are many easier ways to dump energy. In my particular case the Quattro is located quite far from the water heater, I don’t want to make extra cabling works (ACOut2 – Load). Additionally, 7 – 8 months of the year, easily gives a lot of possibilities to play with harvested energy. For the rest of the year, I would definitely pump energy from the Fronius inverter for keeping batteries charged and for loads with frequency shift. That’s just an idea, how it works we’ll see later on.

0 Likes 0 ·
Lawrence avatar image Lawrence Vyacheslav Denysenko commented ·
Solution is now available for linear Water heating in Off grid using Frequency. ACTHOR is a product that can divert AC Coupled PV to water heating based on frequency. So when the battery is full and the Multiplus starts to ramp up the frequency, the water heating responds and ramps up power to the element. The Fronius standard settings in MG50 have it ramping production down from 51.0 to 52.7. Set the ACTHOR to ramp up from 50.1 to 51.0 so but the time the Fronius starts to ramp down, the element is 100%. The ACTHOR has one 0-3000w output. The ACTHOR9s has 3 x 3000w outputs all that can 0-3000w so you can doe 0-9000w.
0 Likes 0 ·