question

Mark avatar image
Mark asked

Smart Battery Protect 220A terminals to close to remote H L connector

Hi

if looking at cable guides and wanting low loss.

70mm2 cable if using the blue sea calculator.

This size cable lug does not fit.

The largest cable lug that will fit is a 50mm2.

Battery Protect
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Michelle Konzack avatar image
Michelle Konzack answered ·

You are not alone with this.

I had to make me a special construction from a Flat Copper Bar.

The BatteryProtect 220 is an Error in Design

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark commented ·
I agree
0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

It might depend on the lug manufacturer, since not all lugs are made equally. I personally tested using 2/0 AWG (70mm2) FTZ Heavy Duty Power Lugs, which are the largest and thickest model of lugs FTZ manufactures, and they work. They're tight, but they work. FTZ's Heavy Duty Starter Lugs, which are slightly smaller (though still chunkier than most other manufacturers' offerings) fit even better.

I can kind of see both sides here... the product is designed perfectly appropriately for its own power handling characteristics, so I don't fault Victron in the least here. If the design characteristics of the particular installation requires heavier-gauge wire than the ampacity would call for, that's not the component's fault - that's an installation design issue, and could be fairly readily resolved by running a short jumper of lighter wire to a Power Post where you could size up for the rest of the run to combat your voltage drop issue - in cases where I've needed to run 4/0 AWG (120mm2) through a Smart BatteryProtect to keep voltage drop down, that's what I've done. 4/0 to a Power Post, step to 2/0 to the BatteryProtect, step back to 4/0. No issue... but, again, I think perhaps just a different brand of lug is the easiest solution in this case!

1 comment
2 |3000

Michelle Konzack avatar image Michelle Konzack commented ·
I have also two different versons.

1) Standard broad one with excelent washer/nut contact

2) a "L" version which is more narrow but longer and the nut reach the edges of the lug.

Only the 2nd one fit, but I had to shorten it because it is easy to make a short circuit between the two poles and bypass the BatteryProtect220.

Since I have three of them side by side and an enormous PowerRail (supporting 1600A) above, I decided to use a flat copper bar 20x5mm and cut/bend it in a way that I can screw it on the PowerRail and the poles of the BatteryProtect220.

I also insulated the flat copper bars with a thermal shrinking tube.

With this solution I also solved the problem with the heat dissipation.

2 Likes 2 ·
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ·

The lugs that I use are Hellermann Tyton Bell Lugs.

See

Hellermann Tyton Lugs

Yes I know that I can run smaller wiring and everybody has a different approach to wiring guidelines and rules.

I have tried all sorts of different Lugs, but I find these Lugs are better quality and easier/quicker to use and are readily available.

Cheers

Mark

2 |3000