question

Jon Sharpe avatar image
Jon Sharpe asked

Installing an inverter/charger in a caravan

Hoping someone can offer advice. I have a caravan with a Sargent EC400 power supply unit connected to a Sargent PX300 charger. I want to replace the charger with an inverter/charger. Before I buy, just need some advice so I can decide if I fit it myself or get a professional to do it.

I was looking at the multiplus-ii 12v inverter/charger to replace the PX300. Is it as simple as a straight swap, connecting it to the power supply unit and using the same wires, or will the power supply unit need changing as well?

Thanks!

modifications
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Jason - UK avatar image
Jason - UK answered ·

@Jon Sharpe Often those caravan chargers include overload protection, fuses, isolators which you don't get with a Multiplus without adding those extras. Im not familiar with the units you have so it might be just a charger. Our caravan is a all-in-one unit so not so easy to swap out within the same space.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

max-payne avatar image
max-payne answered ·

Sure use a Multiplus. Connect the Battery to the input and turn it on.

If you only need the charger put the onswitch to position II and connect the landline to AC-IN

If you need the AC grid put the onswitch in position I.
No need for a cerbo or anything else in that simple case.

2 |3000

ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

How do you want to use the inverter output? Do you want to supply the 230V loads from the existing supply panel? That is not as simple as simply replacing the existing charger and upgrading the existing fuse given you likely want it between the shore hookup and the EC400. If you plan on having a dedicated new set of 230V sockets on the ACOUT, then it will be easier.

5 comments
2 |3000

Jon Sharpe avatar image Jon Sharpe commented ·
Hi, I was planning on connecting the inverter/charger to the EC400 power supply, which connects to all the 230v sockets. I wanted to use the 230v sockets when off grid, relying on the battery and solar for power. From what you’re saying it seems that isn’t possible.
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Jon Sharpe commented ·

@Jon Sharpe Below is my visual understanding of your setup and options. It is possible, but is not as simple as just replacing the PX300. Some planning / work is required e.g. protection on the ACOUT load side.

1710595135885.png

2 Likes 2 ·
1710595135885.png (72.2 KiB)
Jon Sharpe avatar image Jon Sharpe ejrossouw commented ·
Really appreciate your response. The diagram makes it clear but, I don’t want to mess things up. It’s probably wise to get a professional to do the job. Thank you!
0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw Jon Sharpe commented ·

Happy to help. I think it is best as it is not just a simple swap out.

1 Like 1 ·
kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ Jon Sharpe commented ·
No idea what the EC400 is, but the multiplus will supply AC from battery off grid. It important to follow what @Jason - UK said. Batteries, cabling, fuses etc. must be capable of handling the multiplus needs.

Maybe a knowledgeable professional is your best option.

1 Like 1 ·

Related Resources

Experiments, Modifications and Adaptions. Mods (Modifications) can be made to Victron Software by the Community. Please use the modifications space for enthusiasts who want to push what is possible, without official Victron Support.