question

inhabor avatar image
inhabor asked

Why the multiplus compact keeps going to passthrough?

My multiplus compact is going straight to passthrough instead of going to charge mode. The batteries are not fully charged, so I think it should go to bulk. If I reset it,it does goes to bulk.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargervictron products
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

Could you provide some more information about your setup?

Such as battery type, if your using a BMS & if your using any 'Assistants' in the MultiPlus.

0 Likes 0 ยท
inhabor avatar image inhabor Mark โ™ฆโ™ฆ commented ยท

The batteries are two Renogy 170ah . They do have integrated BMS, according to my research (let's clarify I'm new to this). I'm not using any assistant, user profile.

0 Likes 0 ยท
1 Answer
Mark avatar image
Mark answered ยท

Yes the Renogy 170Ah batteries have an internal BMS that goes open circuit / 0V if the BMS is triggered.

IF the BMS was to be activated during charging (for any reason - refer to the battery manual) then you might see a voltage spike or something iratic with the voltage around the time when the MultiPlus switches to 'pass through' mode (in response).

If you also have a Venus device & VRM account maybe take a look at the log.

If the log supports this theory then you will next need to investigate why the BMS is being tripped and as you have 2 batteries wired in parallel, it would require the BMS in both batteries to be triggered.

Otherwise one battery could be faulty and be tripping the other battery. So maybe also try to use/test one battery at a time to see if they both perform OK independently.

Lastly also check all electrical connection's and fuses / circuit breakers to ensure that there are no poor / intermittent connections that could be leading to temporarily open circuit conditions and voltage swings.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

albert-vd-westhuizen avatar image albert-vd-westhuizen commented ยท

Hi @Mark, I came across your post whilst investigating an incident where a 8kVA Quattro went into Passthru after functioning flawlessly for several months. The system has 5 x PylonTech US2000 batteries with internal BMS. 3 minutes prior to the event I noticed a slight dip in voltage together with a (not big) spike in current. Any ideas? The issue is that a couple of days later the premises experienced a grid fail and the system failed to kick in leaving a sensitive operation without power....

0 Likes 0 ยท
1597588344430.png (25.8 KiB)
albert-vd-westhuizen avatar image albert-vd-westhuizen albert-vd-westhuizen commented ยท

@Ned Yu (Pylontech) I would appreciate if you could perhaps weigh in on this one.... Would be nice if could access Pylontech BMS and see what happened.

0 Likes 0 ยท