question

josr avatar image
josr asked

Renogy DC charger and cerbo GX

Hello,

I have Victron MPPT, Multiplus and smarthunt (ultimatron battery). However the DC charger I didnt like as it was running to hot, so I decided going for Renogy DC charger (dcc50s).

Now I want to buy the cerbo gx to monitor everything and I was wondering if it is possible to see the output of the DC charger. The DC charges has RJ45 port.

cerbo gx
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
matt1309 avatar image
matt1309 answered ·

Hi @JosR

I'm not aware of it being natively supported. You can try make your own driver to integrate it. Or if it's just for monitoring purposes you can get a second smart shunt to monitor the power it's providing.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

josr avatar image
josr answered ·

Hello,

Do yo know if here is any example of creating a driver? so I can take a look and try to replicate the same for Renogy.

Best regards,

1 comment
2 |3000

matt1309 avatar image matt1309 commented ·
Victron instructions:
https://github.com/victronenergy/venus/wiki/howto-add-a-driver-to-Venus

Might be better off finding other bms coms drivers made by the community. Might give some more relevant info like

https://github.com/Louisvdw/dbus-serialbattery

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

The port on the Renogy is RS485 and for their monitor or bluetooth dongle and One M1 hub. Most unfortunate, as the newer Victron Orion XS DC-DC offers remote monitoring, is a complete new design promising cooler operation I believe.

4 comments
2 |3000

josr avatar image josr commented ·

so does it mean the actual Victron DC is not possible to be monitored using cerbo gx?

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw josr commented ·
Correct. The newer Orion XS can, whereas the Smart Charger versions can be managed via bluetooth only.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 ejrossouw commented ·

Hi @JosR

You can monitor it using an external smart shunt. Snip from smart shunt manual, it can be installed and set in Monitor mode:

1710408425499.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1710408425499.png (74.0 KiB)
josr avatar image josr matt1309 commented ·
Thanks for the information!
0 Likes 0 ·