question

rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc asked

Digital input says generator running, why does Cerbo say it’s not?

img-5351.jpegI’ve attached photos of the conflicting reports.

img-5352.jpeg

cerbo gx
img-5352.jpeg (3.1 MiB)
img-5351.jpeg (2.9 MiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

In the stock code, the generator digital input only provides running status for an alarm. I seem to remember some recent additions to that as well but don't remember what it does.

In the stock code, the generator status as shown in the generator overview is only based on the internal automatic run and manual run logic, so that and the status of the digital input can differ.

GuiMods does interconnect the digital input to the internal manual start logic. So if for example, the generator is started outside of the GX device, the digital input can activate manual start. Same with external stop.

GuiMods also provides a second digital input that tells the GX device if the AC input is shore/grid or generator. This changes the AC input current limit and a few other parameters.

https://github.com/kwindrem/GuiMods

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mjs500 avatar image
mjs500 answered ·

on your device list multiplus -II is it see the power from the generator ? as AC input is blank not shown voltage ?

2 |3000

rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc answered ·

My install is in RV with a transfer switch, so generator/shore power is switched before Multiplus. That’s why I hooked up the digital input to the generator. There’s no other way for the system to know where AC power is coming from.

2 |3000

derrick thomas avatar image
derrick thomas answered ·

Are you using digital input 1? Have you selected "generator" in the digital inputs settings? Settings/IO/digital inputs/input 1

2 |3000

rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc answered ·

Yes. I have done that. Are there any other settings that need to be changed?

2 |3000

rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc answered ·

Thank you. This makes sense. I will figure out how to use GuiMods.

2 |3000

rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc answered ·

I now have GUImods installed and it’s halfway working. The digital input now recognizes the generator, but it’s not switching the ac input. What am I doing wrong?

img-5374.jpeg

img-5374.jpeg (541.6 KiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem commented ·
Glad you figured it out. For others:

with GuiMods installed:

The generator digital input tells the system only that the generator is running. An option to sync changes to the generator digital input to the manual run state is also possible.

The AC input can also feed into that synchronization if the AC input type is generator, however if the system has an external transfer switch ahead of the AC input using the AC input to sync manual run is not reliable.

The external transfer switch digital input tells the system whether the AC input is grid/shore or generator. Several parameters change base on the state of this input:

• AC input type
  • AC input current limit
  • Stop when AC available

Separate values for these are stored in Settings for grid and generator and those values are used for the active values when the transition occurs.

The values are copied from the current values before the transition occurs. That's the way you set the two values for each source.

0 Likes 0 ·
rhinopkc avatar image rhinopkc Kevin Windrem commented ·
Thank you for your help! Everything was working perfectly until I put my trailer in my storage and plugged in the shore power cord. Now, the generator is trying to auto start over and over, even when I disable auto start. I had to leave, so I unplugged the auto start, but this is just odd.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem rhinopkc commented ·
What is shown in the status area of the generator menu as the reason for the run attempt?

If the polarity of the generator digital input is inverted, the manual running state will be synchronized incorrectly and the the generator will cycle between starting and stopping.

You should disable /Settings / Generator start/stop / Link to external running state and get the state shown inside the generator icon to track the state of the actual generator. Then you can reenable Link to external ....

0 Likes 0 ·
I’ll run over there after work and try that. Do you have a PayPal or something for contributions toward your software development? I would be happy to pay for the GUImods software, it’s well worth the money.
0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem rhinopkc commented ·
No need to pay me but thanks for the offer. I'm not sure what Victron's policy is on the subject either.
0 Likes 0 ·

I guess I just needed to toggle it like you said. Everything is working properly Now. Thanks again!

0 Likes 0 ·
generatorfixed.mp4 (7.2 MiB)
rhinopkc avatar image
rhinopkc answered ·

I figured it out. I selected “external transfer switch” instead of “generator“ on the digital input.

2 |3000