question

rogiesquadron avatar image
rogiesquadron asked

Victron EVCS no communication

Hello,

I have problems connecting my EVCS with my GX-device. I read through many posts here and checked a couple of things but so far to no avail:

EVCS is seen in VRM portal and also on the GX device. I had problems with a strange IP address Modbus communication in the error logs of the GX device. I have no error messages in the Modbus log on the GX side. I do have the W 104 warning on the EVCS side and no values shown, all 0.

Discovery on the EVCS side works fine and finds the GX device, however checking then reports no communication possible.

Any help highly appreciated. I have the EVCS now for a couple of months and could only use the manual and scheduled charging. With the spring coming in, I would like to switch to Auto mode.

Cheers

Amin

evcs
12 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Make sure discovery is enabled on the GX side, settings/modbustcp devices. Or if you want to keep it disabled, manualy add the IP of the EVCS in there.

0 Likes 0 ·
rogiesquadron avatar image rogiesquadron Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I could narrow down the problem a bit further. After a reboot of the Cerbo the communication works fine for 4-5 hours. Then it fails again with the described problem.

The log of the modes/TCP on the Cerbo then reports the following "Error processing function code 3, unit id 40, start address 3802, quantity 26, src 192.168.179.28: Error finding service with device type evcharger at device instance 40"

Based on your comment I switched off "automatic scanning". Do I need to add the Wallbox to the saved devices? It is listed in discovered devices. If I need to add it manually to saved devices as well, that port shall I use?

Best

Amin

0 Likes 0 ·
rogiesquadron avatar image rogiesquadron Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I tried switching off the auto scanning of Modbus-devices. That did not help. Next thing I will try is switching off the HomeAssistant Victron integration. Let's see, if that is actually messing up the ModBus protocol.
0 Likes 0 ·
did not help either. No I am running out of ideas. Any hint, what might help and stop the Cerbo of thinking my Home Assistant Raspberry is an EVCS?
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 rogiesquadron commented ·

Hi @RogieSquadron

It's not something as simple as either the evcs or the cerbo getting a new ip from DHCP server. Could the 4-5hours be the renew time period on your dhcp server on your router.

I might be miles off but might be worth setting static ips for each device just to rule that out if not done already.

I'd guess not if home assistant isn't having issues.

0 Likes 0 ·
rogiesquadron avatar image rogiesquadron matt1309 commented ·
Thank you for your suggestions, Matt. All devices have already fix IP adresses. Cerbo, Wallbox and the Homeassistant. Cerbo and Homeassistant are LAN connected, Wallbox WLAN obviously. All on the same subnet.
0 Likes 0 ·
matt1309 avatar image matt1309 rogiesquadron commented ·

If i were you i'd setup a monitoring tool to try find the culprit assuming there's not some obvious fix like firmware updates etc to try first.

So I'd monitor the modbus of the evcs directly and gx to see if it gives you a hint as to where the issue lies.

That error you shared looks like the firmware register for the evcs but sounds like the error is on EVCS side.

(ie I'd monitor address 5007 and 5008) and then similarly the cerbo I'd monitor 3802. And see which device is causing the error.

I thought error 104 was when connection is reset by peer. Which to me sounds like server (so modbus server on EVCS)

Homeassistant isn't querying the EVCS modbus directly is it? That's not somehow causing some weirdness to occur. It's odd that it's fine for a little while then goes after hours (also means it must be driving you mad to debug/find the issue).

0 Likes 0 ·
poplargrove avatar image poplargrove commented ·
I am also having this problem recently, until now my EVCS has worked fine. I can see it on my dashboard and it is a saved device in my modbus settings under the VRM portal. It is contantly showing the draw etc so communication is live. In the EVCS I can discover my GX device and also have the IP address populated in the whitelist table. But then it still says GX error on the EVCS side only. The whole reason I bought this was to have it integrated sothis error is really frustrating. I have tried disabling and re-enabling, turning it off at the fuse and restarting but no luck!

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ poplargrove commented ·
Are both devices in the same network? Can you follow the recommendations from the post above? If you still have issues, please tell me the VRM portal ID so I can have a look.
0 Likes 0 ·
poplargrove avatar image poplargrove Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Yes they are both on the same network. My ID is e415f6fc30a8

0 Likes 0 ·
Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ poplargrove commented ·

The connection between EVCS and GX is very unstable, can you please check?
69% loss:

1710740103355.png

0 Likes 0 ·
1710740103355.png (65.0 KiB)
poplargrove avatar image poplargrove Lucian Popescu (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
I'll look into this, the GX is wired the EVCS is wifi - I will try restarting the mesh node to see if that helps.
0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic