question

reginald-potts avatar image
reginald-potts asked

Disable alarm popups remote console

Hoping someone can help me.

Since 29/2/2024 I have been experiencing the following alarms popping up on my remote console display continually day & night. The alarms also show on VRM in a banner at the top of screen. Sometimes the alarms occur every few minutes and other times not for several hours day & night.

alarm-log.png

The two charge controllers are RS450/100 both have V1.16 firmware and they are connected VE Can to a Venus GX and both sync fine together.

So far I have checked all battery/bus bar connections and manually re-installed firmware on both RS controllers & Venus GX but the alarms persist, this morning there have been several low batt voltage alarms on each controller.

Other than that the system is charging normally and went into float at 11.08.

I also disabled the 'automatic alarm monitor' setting on VRM > Settings > Alarm Rules but still the alarms keep popping up on remote console, it's a nuisance as I can't see anything wrong.

Any help or pointers appreciated.

mppt rsalarm
alarm-log.png (168.3 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·
What battery system do you have?

0 Likes 0 ·
reginald-potts avatar image reginald-potts nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Battery is 48V FLA 1000AH so 24x 2V forklift cells in series.

Last night after dark I switched off everything and disconnected the battery isolator and checked all the battery/ bus bar connections by backing them off and re torqueing but no change, today the alarms just keep coming on the remote console. They are mostly low voltage batt alarms but some high voltage batt as well, very strange.

Battery been in service since 2017 and all SG readings normal. 1.280 - 1.295

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

Are you running ESS assistant?

See 10.5 Q5

There are settings that trigger the voltage alarms as well.

Is the voltage dropping under the 36v so out of range of the rs 450/10?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

reginald-potts avatar image reginald-potts commented ·

My setup is 2x 5KVA MPII in parallel. I do have assistants setup to activate ACOUT2 relays connected to hot water immersion, one to close relay at 99% SOC and another to open at 98% SOC so minimum battery is used to heat water. This has been working for months with no issues.

It's not the MPII's generating the alarms, they are coming from the two RS450/100's according to the VRM alarm log.

alarm-log.png

Using the VRM Advanced Menu I have checked the battery voltage at the time of the alarms and there are no dips showing in the batt voltage graph.

At the moment my grid is connected so the MPII's are in passthru mode no charging and the battery is resting at 50V which is about 80% SOC. As you can see above I am still getting alarms from the two RS450 controllers stating Low batt. This does not make any sense to me.

0 Likes 0 ·
alarm-log.png (168.3 KiB)
reginald-potts avatar image
reginald-potts answered ·

To follow up on my own thread above, over the last week I have tried playing with firmware on various devices in my system.

First I tried downgrading the firmware on the RS450's from the latest v1.16

v110 - Alarm Low/High Batt still happening

v111 - Alarm Low/High Batt still happening

v115 - Alarm Low/High Batt still happening

After this, I tried downgrading MP2 VE Bus firmware from latest v510

v508 - No alarms on either RS450 controllers.

So, it seems there is a problem for me with firmware v510 and looking at my event log this was upgraded just before I started getting the alarm issues.

Hopefully this may help someone else

2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey @Reginald Potts ,

We looked into this and yesterday concluded that those MPPT RS alarms are a bug in Venus OS. There is no low & high battery voltage alarm feature on the MPPT RS; and it shouldn’t generate alarms & notifications either.

This bug was introduced per Venus v3.20.

This will be fixed in a new Venus OS version soon. (a matter of weeks for official release, and earlier - perhaps today - in beta);

And hopefully already before that block them on VRM and in the VRM alarm emails.

I’m 99.9% sure that this has nothing to do with the inverter/charger firmware v510 that you mentioned. Any relation that you have seen is most likely a coincidence.

Thank you for the report! And apologies for the inconvenience.

2 comments
2 |3000

reginald-potts avatar image reginald-potts commented ·

Okay if the RS firmware does not have an alarm reporting feature then it must be a bug as you suggest. Earlier this year I was using the 'beta release' feature in the Venus online updates menu but I have recently reverted to 'official release' so it has rolled back to v3.22.

I have updated the MP2's firmware to v510 and re-loaded the assistants for ACOUT2. Will report back if the alarms start repeating.

0 Likes 0 ·
reginald-potts avatar image reginald-potts reginald-potts commented ·
Just to update this thread all the Firmware's on my system devices are running the latest 'official release' version for a few days now and no Low/ High Batt Alarms.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources