question

Jason Jensen avatar image
Jason Jensen asked

50 amp RV single Quattro Design?

I have been working on a design to run my 50 amp RV off one 48v 5000va Quattro.

This is what I came up with:

rv-power-project.jpeg

So plugged in, if I have 240v on L1 and L2, the voltage protect relay will energize, pulling in the above contactor, sending L2 to the 3 power source relay on the right of the contactor. The 3 power source relay feeds L2 on the RV breaker panel.

If i have a shore power with L1 and L2 combined (like a 30/15 amp "dog bone") the contactor will not feed through and L2 on the RV breaker panel will be fed from AC-OUT2, which is also the case when the Generator is running. This way the quattro can boost from 15/30 amp and mind the generator's 45 amp (well 50 with age and altitude adjustments). Finally, if not plugged in and the generator is not running, then L2 on the RV breaker panel is fed from AC-OUT1 which is inverted.

From each source the neutrals are always bonded on an RV, but the quattro switches the neutrals so that the 3 power source is "isolated" by proxy. The 3 power source switch prioritizes connection in this order: L1, L2, L3. So, 50 amp plugged in with split phase to L2 on the RV Breaker Panel, any other power source through AC-OUT2 of the quattro to L2 on the RV Breaker Panel, and finally, L1 of the AC-OUT1 on the Quattro is connected to L2 on the RV breaker panel.

AC-IN1 would be set to a max amps of 45 unless I go in and set 30/20/15. AC-IN2 would also be set to 40-45 amp limit (depending on how the generator is performing).

The water heater is disconnected unless there is external power.

I would love feedback from the Victron people that know a thing or two..

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Chargersplit phase
rv-power-project.jpeg (536.6 KiB)
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

phoenix avatar image phoenix commented ·
Some observations. The Quatro is shown as a 230V model - make sure you buy the 120V version!

I don't think you need the contactor, unless you've got a wiring error and 2T1 should come directly from the shore supply.

1 Like 1 ·
Jason Jensen avatar image Jason Jensen phoenix commented ·
You are right, the voltage protection and contactor, is to force feed 30/15 amp through the victron so that the quattro can manage the load.

On full 50 amp split phase, where we have 240v, we have plenty of power and the quattro need not manage the line L2 to the RV breaker box.

In all other scenarios, we do and would even like power assist if needed.

So the voltage sense relay is an automatic detection of voltage between 200-250, and the contractor bridges L2 shore power to L2 on the RV breaker box. After the voltage sense, I needed to split the 230, but I suppose one leg of the voltage sense would have been fine..

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

This will not work as designed (or as drawn at least). You can't feed a 230v Quattro with 120v. That's not a US 120/240 input, it's a Euro 230v/50Hz input - and same with the output, you're not going to get US voltage out of it. There is no "L1 and L2" on the shown Quattro, there is only L1, and it's at 230v.

Strongly suggest you consult an experienced installer/system designer to work with you on your design and to help select the appropriate components that will work as desired.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jason Jensen avatar image Jason Jensen commented ·
I used the wrong photo, the inverter is a 48/5000/120/100/100.

The inverter is two power source single leg 120vac.

0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

Gents, a reminder, design topics are not encouraged on the community. This really is best consulted with a professional supplier or installer.

Justin knows his stuff, please follow his guidance.

2 |3000