question

rrroonn avatar image
rrroonn asked

PV Inverter Support Assistant support for 15S batteries such as Pylontech

Reference: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:pv-inverter-support

I have an AC coupled system that is not grid connected and thus I use the PV Inverter Support Assistant to throttle the PV Inverter when the battery is charged.

I get situations where the battery is full and I switch on a large load (like a bore pump) which will ramp the PV Inverter back up to full power. Once that load switches off, I sometimes have the batteries go into over-voltage protection which shuts down the system. The problem is that the frequency ramping is slow and the full output of the PV (3.5kW) will go into the batteries when they are already at a high voltage/SOC. As these are LiFePO4 batteries, this occurs at the steep upper section of the charge curve and raises the voltage too high before the frequency control throttles it back. Obviously, this will shut down the system with an unplanned outage.

I was reading the PV Inverter Support Assistant doco at the reference and notice the following:

To prevent DC and AC voltage overshoots because of varying solar irradiance and/or load fluctuations, it will limit the charge current already before battery voltage has rised up to the absorption voltage. It will derate the maximum charge current from 100% at 13.5 / 27 / 54V to 10% at 14.4 / 28.8 / 57.6V. These thresholds are not related to the configured absorption voltage.

This appears to cover 12V/24V/48V system voltages, however, does not cover the 48V-15S configuration such as I have with Pylontech batteries. The absorption voltage for these 52.4 and are already heavily saturated at the 54V defined above.

@Victron, Is it possible to update the assistant so that it can be configured to better support 15S batteries - such as adding a configuration option for this case?

I see a couple of workarounds that I could try:

1. Disconnect the CAN bus and manually configure charge voltages such that there is a bit more headroom at the top end - but I will loose a bit of battery capacity and invalid the Pylontech warranty.

2. My system uses a lot of automation, so I could install a contactor to disconnect AC from the PV inverter when SOC is 100%

I will probably have to use option 2 unless there are other options that I have not considered?

Any thoughts and/or suggestions?

Thanks,

Ron

Assistants
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@rrroonn

The reason why pylontec and Victron page says to use 52v and 51v is to prevent the overcharge. You will notice pylons request 53. Something.

The system is being controlled by the pylontecs anyway.

Have you tried capping the charged voltage in DVCC?

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Alex Pescaru avatar image Alex Pescaru commented ·

I have the vague impression that the DVCC voltage, which implicit is set back at 52.4 for Pylontechs, capped or not, is taken into account for that #29 over-voltage protection.

So, no matter which voltage you put there, the overshot will exist anyway, having that set voltage as reference.

In other words will overshot around that set new voltage and error #29 will still appear.

1 Like 1 ·
rrroonn avatar image rrroonn Alex Pescaru commented ·
Yes, you are right. The problem is the slow nature of the frequency control and the large energy source it is trying to control.
0 Likes 0 ·
rrroonn avatar image rrroonn Alex Pescaru commented ·
Tested at full charge today with 52v setting and handled load disconnection, so it seems like a good solution, thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ rrroonn commented ·
Excellent.

It is one I have used before. The batteries should be able to absorb overshoot now as they are now not 'fully charged'. I have found pylons to be sensitive about overshoot.

0 Likes 0 ·
rrroonn avatar image rrroonn commented ·
Thanks for the response. I wrongly assumed that this option was unavailable because it is greyed out (DVCC is forced on by CAN battery). I have turned it on and will experiment with a slightly lower voltage which will give me a bit more time for frequency control to tame the excess energy.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alex Pescaru avatar image
Alex Pescaru answered ·

At some point Victron dealt with this over-charge protection error (#29).

The things improved then, but I believe the detection algorithm is still too sensitive.

2 |3000

Related Resources