question

villychr avatar image
villychr asked

Multiplus II: trips battery (no load)

I am installing a (new out of the box) Multiplus II 12/3000 on my boat. I have only connected the DC plus and minus (in order to setup the Multiplus before connecting AC). As soon as I connect the DC breaker, the Multiplus trips the battery shortcut protection. The Multiplus on/off switch is off when this happens.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Villy

PS. It's not reverse polarity.

Multiplus-IIinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @villychr

This will be the Multi filling it's capacitors. They're large and take quite a hit.

If you have a spare 12V Pb battery handy, try jumpering it across to precharge them, then switch in your main battery. Usually comes with a spark.

If you're going to do this regularly you could arrange a precharge circuit, Some Li battery makers even have such in their product range, but it's just a resistor really.

6 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

villychr avatar image villychr commented ·
Hi @JohnC, thanks. I connected the multiplus to a start battery, it held the voltage OK. Waited about five minutes but the inverter LED didn't come on (which I presume they should), and the Multiplus (Bus-connected) didn't show up in Victron Connect local). How long does it take to fill the capacitors?

With thanks

Villy

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ villychr commented ·
@villychr

A precharge done that way only takes the spark. Quick.

Does your bms need resetting or something? V on the Multi terminals? I don't know, you'll have to delve..

0 Likes 0 ·
villychr avatar image villychr JohnC ♦ commented ·
I still have it connected to the start battery. I guess my main question is: should there be light in the inverter LED when the Multiplus is connected?

If yes, I think I have a problem with the Multiplus.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ villychr commented ·

Maybe it needs an ac load connected to show an inverter led?

0 Likes 0 ·
villychr avatar image villychr JohnC ♦ commented ·
@JohnC Ah, problem solved, silly me. The Multiplex initially tripped the battery while in off. When I connected to start battery -- it was still off. Turning it on helped. OK now. Thanks for your advice.
0 Likes 0 ·
nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ villychr commented ·

Possibly not, I don't think it would pass relay tests without being correctly wired. It's best to follow the instructions and wire it properly before jumping the gun and trying to make it work before it is ready.

Same applies for people trying to install it without batteries..

Even without lights, if you haven'r tripped your battery, you should be able to talk to it via a mk3 adapter and veflash.

It does sound like your battery BMS has not enjoyed the precharge, which will occur even if the multi is set to off.

Another common mistake, is having the rocker switch in the wrong "charger" position, instead of "on"

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

MultiPlus-II Product page 

MultiPlus-II Manual

MultiPlus-II 230V Datasheet 

VE.Bus Error codes

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic