question

onrbikes avatar image
onrbikes asked

How to add a Daly 8s 80amp BMS?

I've just had 2 flooded acid batteries die.

I'm now going down the lifepo4 track and will go for 8 batteries to give me a 24v 200ah set. There are a few people with the same. I realise it's best to monitor each induvidual battery and I've just purchased a smart shunt. That was before the batteries died.

Will a Daly 8s 80amp BMS work with this?

Where does it get installed?

I have a easysolar 24/3000/70

Thanks

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
nickdb avatar image
nickdb answered ·

DIY battery design is a little beyond the scope of the community, but if you dig around the modifications section you may find some related content.

As for a shunt, generally not needed when you have a BMS that the GX will talk to.

I would research your plans carefully, poorly built/configured batteries can cause headaches and fires. You will need to understand DVCC, CAN comms etc for managed batteries.

LFP is a completely different beast to conventional batteries and need to be treated and charged with care.

From the compatibility doc, some points to remember:

DIY / Self-build oriented BMSes

There are also companies selling separate BMS-es intended to be used with self built lithium batteries. These are typically used when manufactured batteries with integrated BMSes don't meet the requirement of the application, or to save costs.

SUPPORT WARNING: At Victron, we offer very limited support to systems running on these custom BMS batteries.

The following BMS systems are known to correctly follow the Victron battery specification (but are not tested by Victron!):

Common issues we have seen from other DIY / Self-build oriented BMSes

Batteries with a BMS that blocks charge or discharge current, or sets CCL to 0 when full, cause all sorts of warnings and alarms, which can often be very confusing or misleading.

In this case the Victron inverter/charger reports overload, and time is spent in diagnosing the Victron and understanding why it gives an overload on site, but then works perfectly when on a test bench; to find the cause is a custom BMS with a DIY battery.

Another common example is Victron requires the BMS to change the Charge Voltage Limit to restrict power flowing to the battery as it gets full. If the BMS attempts restriction using the Charge Current Limit without adjusting the Charge Voltage Limit it can cause Overcharge, Overvoltage or Overcurrent warnings.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.